Best Western Hotels in Europe??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning our trip to Germany and Italy. The hotels that we found for two of our destinations happen to be owned by Best Western. The exact hotels are Hotel Elefant in Salzburg, and Hotel Ala in Venice. They appear to be very nice hotels, are in our budget, and have received good reviews from everything we have read. However, I just can't help but feel a little funny traveling all the way to Europe to stay in a Best Western. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two hotels, or any other Best Western hotels in Europe? Any insight will be appreciated!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:23 PM

I haven't stayed in those hotels specifically, but I have stayed in some others throughout Europe. I've generally found that the hotels were authentic hotels to the region and simply bought by Best Western for the name recognition. If the hotels are in your budget and you like the location, book them. Otherwise, you could search some other websites such as http://www.venere.com. In any event, have a nice trip.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:27 PM

I have stayed in Best Western hotels in Europe, last at the Airport Hotel in Kloten (Zuerich. They are EUROPEAN hotels, in the true sense. )
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:40 PM

I think some hotels are owned outright by Best Western but some are not and Best Western is just a representative and booking agent - not sure about this but in my experience many Best Westerns in Europe are kind of like larger family-run hotels. I guess if Best Western changed its name to something more European it may help their marketing - like Best Eurotels or some such xxxx.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:42 PM

I don't know about Best Western Hotels in Europe. In São Paulo, Brazil, they are lousy, specially the Best Western Hotel Panamby. Don't ever stay there!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:45 PM

I have stayed at the Hotel Elefant in Salzburg, and trust me there is nothing about the hotel that will remind you of any Best Western you have stayed in here at home (USA).

The hotel is very nice and there is nothing "cookie cutter" about it. The room are not all the same and the ambiance is pure Austria.

Don't worry. Have a great time.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Best Western hotels are individually owned -just as they are in the States. All those BW's you've stayed in - none were "owned" by a company called Best Western. It is merely a marketing cooperative.

So having BW in front of a hotel's name will not tell you anything about what it looks like.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:25 PM

One year we stayed in 6 or 7 Best Westerns in Europe and they were beautiful (mostly) The Elephant in Salzburg is a wonderful location and about 400 yrs. old I think...has a very good reputation. Another Best Western was in Innsbruck, Austria..right in the old town and very lovely. Mozart had stayed there and it was very interesting. Another one in Italy was in a beautiful village on the outskirts of town...In Scotland we stayed in a beautiful Best Western..a country estate on the outskirts of Inverness. We've stayed in lots of non Best WEstern hotels, but it just works out with a BW sometimes and it is SO SIMPLE to make the reservation at their 800 number here in the states and have the emailed confirmation with you upon arrival. Other hotels will also email you from Europe of course.
We walked past a Best Western in Venice, just off St. Marks square and thought that would be a good location. Don't know if it was the Ala or not, but it looked very nice.

Some lovely hotels just align themselves with the BW name for reservation purposes etc....and of course they have certain rules and requirements set by Best Western. Than is often a good thing.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:44 PM

Don't hesitate to stay in a European Best Western. As others have said, that is merely at marketing tool, but most are nice, privately owned and run hotels.

Now if you tell us you're staying at the Budapest Motel 6. . .
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Have been in the Hotel Ala many times-they have a very cozy bar area, and it is ideally located, right in the heart of the upscale shopping district of Venice (via Marzo XXII) and a 3 minute walk to San Marco and the opera house La Fenice-it's a good choice.

Since the BW's in Europe are locally owned and operated, many of them in historic buildings, you should not in any think that this will be like some American chain hotel (and for that matter, most American chain hotels in Europe fit right into the local area)-there are at least 2 other BW's in Venice-one in Mestre, and another one in Venice proper.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:02 AM

We've also stayed at Best Westerns in Germany and Austria and would stay at them again.
One caveat: we found the rates quoted on www.hotels.de were always lower than the best rate quoted on the Best Western web site (example: 92 euros was the best rate quoted for our dates at the Best Western in Detmold by BW; hotels.de offered the same level of room for 60 euros). Also, when we did try to reserve on the BW web site for a German hotel, the site repeatedly timed out (and we have a high speed connection).
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 01:07 AM

I've stayed in moe than one Best Western in Europe...you will do yourself a BIG disservice if you buy into the "image mistake" nonsense on this one IMO.

As to the Elefant...I've stayed there once several years ago. It is in the middle of the so-called "old town" (in an 800-year-old building) and about as atmospheric as it gets. Easy walking distance to sites such as the cathedral and the trolley bus lines to other parts of town.

The rooms definitely vary in size. This is one of the smallest rooms I have EVER stayed in and we couldn't get into anything else because the hotel was supposedly booked out.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the included breakfast was good, and housekeeping was also good.

What's not to like? Get it as cheaply as you can.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer! I will not give it a second thought.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 03:56 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Ala in early October. We were pretty dissappointed with it. The breakfasts were good but front desk help was nonexistant.

The maid regularly rearranged our personal effects in the room to suit her wishes. She removed items from the minibar fridge that we had in it and charged us for items we didn't consume.

If you can get their lowest rates, it's probably okay; but I would not stay there again unless the only alternative is sleeping on the street. You can see some photos of the room we got for €320 here
http://aladdinandfriend.home.comcast.net/hotels2006.htm

We've stayed at these Best Western hotels as well. Hotel Bisanzio in Venice which was okay but nothing to write home about. The Hotel Capitol in Florence which was dismal; think Holiday Inns 40 years ago. The Hotel Canada in Rome; this is an exceptional value we've probably stayed there fifteen times and love it.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 04:16 AM

I really enjoyed the Best Western in Salzburg, I am Marriott Platium member, but this was a very nice hotel and the rooms were bigger than average in Europe.
In fact I will be staying there again this December.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 05:27 AM

As everyone says they are individually owned - BW is a "marketing tool". Big advantage to BW is being able to book via 800 number (if you wish to) or via website. Many smaller hotels in Europe function via e-mail and from what I read here that is a problem. We've used BW-Europe and were pleased with hotels (and no, they are not all alike by any means).
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 05:37 AM

I am the same concern as RexDog. I found what appeared to be a lovely property in Leipzig, Best Western Premier Victor's Residenz-Hotel, but was immediately concerned by the Best Western name. Also, I can't find any reviews except for three on TripAdvisor and one person's "candid photos" come right from the hotel's website. I have to make a decision by tomorrow and would love to hear from someone who has stayed there.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 08:12 AM

We have used Best Western affiliated hotels in France and never had a problem. They are NOT like ones in the USA, which sadly tend to be "dumpish".
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 08:35 AM

I don't really know why people think Best Western is "owning" or running hotels in Europe, but they are just regular hotels that you have to review and evaluate like any other. I stayed at the Elefant and really enjoyed it, it's a wonderful hotel. I've also stayed at them in several other cities and they were all very good. But BW didn't own any of them.

I don't even know if Best Western owns any hotels anywhere, but I've stayed at some in the US that were definitely not owned by any company, either. I know because one is in my hometown and it changes affiliations at times.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 03:02 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Ala in April and I thought it was lovely and in a great location. The vaparetto stop is only a hundred yards or so from the hotel which is located on a quiet square. My canal view room was 160 euros with a high ceiling and a beautiful Venetian chandelier. I would definitely stay there again.

It is my understanding that some European hotels are only affiliated with Best Western for booking purposes. In my case, I was able to get a AAA discount at the Hotel Ala.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -