Search

Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels

I have noticed that the hotels in Europe are generally inferior to the hotels in the States. For example, what they advertise as 3 star hotels are two star properties here, four star properties in Europe are three star hotels in the States etc. Generally you always have to assume that you will be one star below in Europe. Obviously there are some exceptions and a Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental will probably be equal to the cousins in the States but in general that is not the case with most properties.

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this.

Also, it seems like you get more bang for your buck in the States than in Europe. That applies to the food, room size, availability of pools, gyms etc.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Every country has its own rating system, so the U.S. rating system is meaningless when trying to figure out the hotel quality of other countries. For example, the French hotel rating system stops at 4-stars, yet the Hôtel George V was recently rated the best hotel in the world.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 09:18 AM

I think hotel quality varies somewhat from country to country - can't really say that the US hotels are better than European ones. Certainly, hotel rooms in Europe tend to be smaller, but I've always found the ammenities where available (restaurants, lounges, fitness centers, service, staff) to be comparable at the least.

But -you've only posted 2 messages on this board (this and one on the Europe forum) - and both seem to be aimed at stirring up some controversy! Your Europe board post did have some hotel recommendations - but also a lot of complaints.

Since you were very complimentary of the hotels you stayed in in Europe, perhaps you could give some examples of what you mean by "generally inferior to the hotels in the States."
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 09:20 AM

oops = just realized both your posts were on the Europe board.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

I try to stay at Mariotts whenever I travel and so far I had good luck with this chain. However, many of my friend and relatived have stayed at various hotels in Europe and complained of small rooms and lack of amenities. I stayed at a Tulip hotel in Amsterdam and the room was smaller than my closet. I also noticed that Best Western is heavily represented in Europe. I would not stay at their hotels in the US.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM

OK, here's my opinion:

your generalizations about hotels in Europe are just that: generalizations and your assumptions are assumptions.

I'm not convinced that either are based on having stayed in a wide variety of hotels in Europe.

There are quite a few "exceptions" to your notion that the hotels are "inferior" to those in other countries just as there are to your notion that most of the hotel rooms in European hotels are "small."

It depends on which hotels you stay in.

I've been in many European hotels which had very large rooms.

Perhaps when you've traveled as extensively as some others you'll change your mind.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM

The US has no official star rating system - so I'm not sure what you're comparing.

Generally hotels in europe are older than in the US - and so may have more eccentric arrrangements with bathrooms and closets - which often had to be added long after the hotel was built.

And I don;t think you get less for your stars than in the US - but you do definitely get less for your money - even comparing apples and apples ie New York to London - and defiitely apples to oranges - ie a smaller city to a world capitol.).
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 09:57 AM

I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but the problem with some Americans travelling abroad is that they expect things to be just like they are at home. And, if that's the case why bother going overseas.

I would argue that hotels are different in Europe not necessairly inferior.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have stayed in motels on desert highways in Nevada and Utah, and I very much wish that such establishments were of the same quality as isolated hotels in Europe.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 11:22 AM

jsims: How many European countries have you visited, how many hotels in Europe have you stayed in and have you ever stayed in a hotel (especially in Europe) that is not part of a chain? Your broad generalisations suggest that the answers to questions one and two are "a few" and the answer to question three is "almost never".

As for Best Westerns, I'm not sure I'd stay at a Best Western in the US again (the ones I've stayed in are rather downmarket and bland), but quite a few of them are very nice in Europe. They often are hotels that were once independently run and have now become part of the BW franchise. Travellers benefit from the easy BW booking (and cancellation system) and the hotels often have more charm and character than you would expect of an American-style chain hotel. Some are of quite good quality, although I'm not sure any of them would match a so-called 5* hotel in Europe, North America.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 12:24 PM

The buildings that contain many European hotels are often a couple hundred years old, have odd shapes and code restrictions that contribute to the variables you'll find in rooms there. American hotels are very often newer construction, cookie-cutter design, and very predictable. Try going to India - your 'American' expectations will get a jolt for sure.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 01:46 PM

French hotel star ratings are based on amenities, not necessarily the quality of the Hotel. You could have one of the nicest Hotels, but still be rated 3 star, for example, if it was missing a restaurant, or meal service. I have found thta Hotels throughout Europe can and are much nicer than MANY of the best of the US, maybe its just that you have not been to them yet.
Maybe it would be best to consult a Michelin guide for Hotels.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Judge everything by American standards, and of course American hotels will come out top. If I deduct a star for the lack of tea-making facilities, they aren't doing so well.

Am I being trivial?
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

In response to Kate W: Bulgaria, Romania, Greece (twice), Holland, Germany, Russia, England, France, Belgium, Turkey.

Stayed at non-chain hotels and was very disappointed by rooms & amenities.

Since I primarilly travel with my family I do extensive research before booking a hotel to make sure it meets my requirements which can be quite different from other people's needs.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
your "Impressions" of manners in France were based on misunderstandings/false assumptions, and now you misunderstand hotel rating systems.

If gyms, pools, and American chains is what you need - then maybe you will be happier traveling in the states. At least they will speak English to you.

I'm not one of those who think everything European is "good" and everything American is "bad" - but a comfortable 2 or 3 star hotel w/ french windows and hand-held shower would be my choice over a corporate sterile US chain hotel every time . . . .

Your two threads make me sad - to be able to travel to such great places and only have complaints and kvetch about everything . . . . .
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:25 PM

If you did "extensive research" before going to those countries, how come you picked crappy hotels?
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Jsims, if you really have a closet bigger than a hotel room...then there's not a cure for your problem. Oh, well, maybe spending a bit more money can do the trick.
My room at home (spain) is smaller than most rooms in European hotels...so I'm always happy.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM

The question is: do you want a luxury hotel with huge rooms in a terrible place, or a modest (perhaps less vulgar) hotel with moderately-sized rooms in one of the many excellent destinations in Europe?

Cleanliness, not too much noise, a good bed, a proper bathroom, and a place to hang my clothes, and I'm happy. Locate that room in Paris or Rome or Budapest or Barcelona or any one of a long list of other places, and I'm almost ecstatic.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 03:47 PM

I don't stay in expensive hotels but I don't have any arguments about what jsims is saying. I do think there is a disparity between 'like' hotels in Europe and the US(still, a somewhat sweeping generalization). I think it doesn't bother me as much because I'm not spending as much.

for instance, when I go to San Antonio in July I will spend $130/night for a Holiday Inn Express that is very nice, clean, has an outdoor pool, a workout room, Wifi, free breakfast, etc. My usual 3* hotel in Paris will cost me $123/night including a less extensive breakfast, no pool, no workout, pay wifi, smaller room, smaller TV, older decor and so on.

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Some people travel to experience another way of looking at the world, and to appreciate differences, some bad, but mostly good, or at least interesting.

Others travel to prove to themselves that "their" culture, and way of life is superior.

Judging by the 2 messages jsims has posted, he/she is clearly the second type, or even more likely, just intent on riling-up the board...

~Liz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -