Hotels and special places to see in Lake Geneva and Door County

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to a wedding in Chicago and have decided to extend our trip so we can drive up to Lake Geneva and Door County Areas, since we have never been there and have heard nice things about both. We know many other areas of WI but don't know the special places we should be looking for in Lake Geneva and Door County Areas. Any ideas would be appreciated. We also need some hotel/lodging recommendations - would prefer no B & B's. Thanks in advance everyone.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
bjl

It's not a "special place" exactly, but a special experience...ride the U.S. Mailboat on the lake. If you're going to be there in the summer, of course. http://www.cruiselakegeneva.com/walworthmb.php
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

bjl, thanks for the recommendation. I have heard of this and it sounds fun.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 06:15 AM

I live and work in Door County - there are so many great restaurants and hotels ...
check out www.foremostresorts.com ... 4 differnt lodging establishments, many pricing options and differnt locations up and down the peninsula.
Have fun!!!
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 07:18 AM

Recently also driving up from Chicago...
We stayed at the Wagon Wheel at Rowley's Bay which is well known. There is a fish boil out front which is a Door Co. thing. Another unique site is that restaurant with goats grazing on the roof...Al Johnsons. Lunch also at Julie's Cafe-Fish Creek. We took in several entertainment spots: Peninsula Music Festival and Door County Theatre. Also lots of art shops to browse as your drive around.
Bill in Boston
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info Denise_Stillman and Ozarksbill.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 08:16 PM

Not sure how long you'll stay but here's what I've got. I spend at least a weekend or two in Sister Bay every summer so I know the area fairly well!

Along 42 in Door County, Fish Creek has a great downtown shopping area near the water. Moving north, check out a drive-in movie at the SkyWay Drive-in, get some DELICIOUS ice cream at Wilson's in Ephriam, and I'd highly recommend staying at Ephriam Shores. Been there many times, great location and restaurant attached as well. Seaquist in Sister Bay is a great place to get tasty jams and downtown Sister Bay also has some great restaurants and shops. If you're looking to visit the beach or a park, Peninsula has Nicolet Beach and tons of amenities (like bike and boat rentals, etc), as well as a lookout tower you can climb to get a great view of the entire bay. Newport and Bailey's Harbor are the other two parks I'd recommend, especially for swimming (on a good day). Finally, if you have an extra day, head up to Gill's Rock and take a ferry up to Washington Island - lots of fun things to do up there. Wish I could give suggestions on Lake Geneva - went once with my grandparents when I was little but haven't been back. Have fun!!
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 08:27 PM

Couple more lodging suggestions for door county... though I haven't spent much time in the town itself, Bailey's Harbor has a few good hotels - I've heard the Blacksmith Inn is wonderful. There's also some really nice properties on Kangaroo Lake as well. The wonderful thing about Door County is that all the towns are within minutes of each other, so no matter where you stay you'll have access to a cute downtown area, and plenty of other options within 10 minutes.

Other "up-north" things that I forgot include mini golf - Pirate's Cove in Sister Bay is good and there's a slightly cheaper option literally next door whose name is evading me at the moment.. Johnson Park I believe? - and the confectionary in Ephriam. Really, I'd highly recommend staying there, especially because there's a bunch of waterfront amenities across from Ephriam Shores as well, and a bunch of cute shops in between Ephriam and Sister Bay. Fish Creek, Egg Harbor, Ephriam and Sister Bay are where I'd recommend spending the most time - but that' just me!
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your great information, amandarawrrr. We are looking forward to going to Door County.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 06:23 PM

bookmarking