Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel to stay at between Indianapolis and Bloomington

Old May 12th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi. My son will be attending a journalism program this summer at Indiana University in Bloomington. I'm taking him up there the day before, and we'll be flying into Indianapolis. I had hoped to stay at the hotel on campus, but they're completely full. It looks like the Hampton Inn and some of the other hotels in Bloomington are also booked up. (I don't know what else is going on at this time.)

I'm wondering now if we should stay near the airport in Indianapolis instead, or optimally, is there some decent hotel located between the Indianapolis airport and Bloomington. I don't need anything fancy, but I would like to be at a clean reasonably comfortable hotel in a safe area with restaurants nearby. Any great ideas out there?

Thanks!
Susan
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Susan - The only town between Indy and Bloomington is Martinsville. I see a Super 8 & a Comfort Inn. Maybe some other, I don't know.

There are more, and BETTER, choices in Plainfield, IN, just west of the airport on I-70. There you have Hampton Inn, etc... plus lots of restaurants.

Plainfield to Bloomington is only about 45 rural miles. Not that long a drive.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ray! I'll look into that.

Susan
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Susan, you will be traveling to one of the loveliest areas in the Midwest. I'm going to make a suggestion that is a short distance away (25 miles) from Bloomington but I think once you do a little research, you'll appreciate why I'm recommending this.

If you didn't have to stay in Bloomington proper, I'd recommend you looking into someplace in or around Nashville, Indiana (maybe the Story Inn or Artist's Colony Inn) or at the Brown County Inn at Brown County State Park. There are many places that rent cabins out in this area.

There was a recent write-up in Midwest Living magazine by the editor about Brown County, Indiana. You might want to check it out. (At least online - go to the section entitled "Southern Indiana Scenic Driving Tour". Or to the "Travels with Dan" section--Leg 1. )

If you don't end up staying in this area, do yourself a favor and drive IN-46 over to Nashville and spend a little time there. Bean Blossom has many bluegrass festivals during the course of the year as well. And Brown County State Park is great.

After doing a little research, maybe you'd like to take a mini-vacation (maybe another day or two?) and spend a couple of days in the area. I know I always love the time I spend there.

Hope this suggestion may be something of interest to you.

P.S. Try Oliver Wineries while you are down there. Have fun.
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:06 AM
cd

The above poster is so right about Nashville and Brown County. You will love walking the little town of Nashville and Brown County is beautiful. We spent a day at Oliver Wineries. We bought a bottle of wine, meats,bread and cheeses and headed out to their patio where we had a great lunch. At various times of the year they even have entertainment out there.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:57 AM

I vote for Brown County too. But then I'm partial. I live here.