Hotel Suggestions in San Diego area?

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Suggestions in San Diego area?

My inlaws are planning a trip to San Diego and as they don't travel much they've asked for my help in offering up some hotel suggestions (my husband & I travel often); however I really don't know San Diego very well. Help!

They are in their early 60s and can really afford anything - though they would never pay for a presidential suite or anything that exteme as they would find it wasteful. They like nice things and being pampered, but don't really appreciate snootiness - they are much more laid back. I think they would prefer nice views and a casual atmosphere - but classy.

Can anyone suggest some good hotels (or B&B's which I know they like as well) or even areas of San Diego to consider/avoid?!

Thanks!!
Lisa

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:14 AM
ltt

this is often discussed - go to the search engine above and type in "san diego hotels", "la jolla hotels" and maybe "del mar hotels". you will get lots of information.
sounds like they may enjoy la jolla although it is somewhat snooty in my opinion. the walk UP from the beach is about 1-2 blocks so be sure they can handle that.
for a more casual atmosphere you may want to check out the pacific terrace inn which is right on pacific beach.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:24 AM

Shelter Island hotels provide view of bay, Harbor Island provides view of downtown skyline, both are close to airport, downtown and Balboa Park, in which world-famous zoo is located.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:43 AM

Downtown has the nicer chain hotels while La Jolla and Del Mar (Torry Pines) have more local properties. These are the nicer areas and will provide the best "vacation" atmosphere but you'll definitely pay top dollar.

Another option is Pacific Beach (Paradise Point Resort/Spa is good) or Coronado at the famous Hotel Del Coronado which I think is your best option if your budget allows.

I would avoid the hotels on Hotel Circle or near the Sports Arena and Old Town as they are all right off the freeway, tend to be loud, and are lacking any kind of view or vacation atmosphere.

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info. Here is what I plan to recommend to give them some options:

Catamaran Resort Hotel
Paradise Point
Scripps Inn
Heritage Park B&B
Lodge at Torrey Pines
La Valencia Hotel

I've acutally been to Hotel del Coronado and while I know it's lovely and fancy, the area seemed kind of unspecial. Am I mistaken?

Let me know any thoughts on the spots I've listed (I've read mixed reviews on Paradise Point but supposedly the rooms have been updated).
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 10:00 AM

I would advise against Paradise Point and the Del if you're looking for nice quality accommodations (per your comment that they can afford most anything).
I also had a very disappointing stay at La Valencia a couple years ago.
L @ Torry Pines and the Hotel Parisi will not disappoint.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 11:24 AM

The Sheraton San Diego on Harbor Island is really a very nice property. Wonderful views. One great thing is that you not committed to La Jolla or downtown, but actually close to both. Stay in the West Tower facing the bay.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 11:38 AM

Yes, Lodge at Torry Pines would be my choice. New hotel, but beautifully done in Arts & Crafts old style--a charming and upscale, yet relaxed place on a famous golf course on the ocean.
We ate at their signature restaurant, A.R. Valentien a few months back and it was terrific.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 12:46 PM
hsv

I guess the Lodge at Torrey Pines really might fit your needs- I have not stayed there, but what I have seen appeared to be pretty good.

Another option would be the Hotel Del (which I have stayed at). It can get a little too crowded sometimes when there are tours of people not staying at the property, but it still is very charming. I also disagree that the neighborhood is not special. I guess it depends on what you call special but Coronado is undoubtedly a very nice beach community, laid back but still so close to downtown. I happen to like it a lot.

If your folks would rather stay downtown, the Westgate would be an option. It's nice understated elegance and absolutely courteous staff. I enjoyed it. Only downside is that they did not have a pool, as I recall.

You might also consider L'Auberge Del Mar.

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 05:53 PM

Downtown La Jolla is beautiful. Lots of nice shops and restaurants. I vote for Catamaran in Pacific Beach or Hotel Parisi in Lajolla. You can walk to everything from these two hotels so you would not have to be a car the whole time.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 07:25 AM
ltt

the catamaran is in a great location. lots of restaurants around there. part of the hotel looks out on the bay which is nice to walk around to walk 2 minutes and you are at the ocean beach.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 07:38 AM

I have stayed at the Hotel "Del". Absolutely lovely without a doubt. Also the Marriott Resort and Marina. It is a high rise but has a great pool, convenient walking distance to downtown and valet parking. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Marriott again. Check out www.localwally.com. It is a great San Diego website.