Hotel Suggestions in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are visitng Washington DC for Spring Break with our 14 year old daughter. Spring Break is March 21 thru March 28th, 2009. I am overwhelmed by the hotels. We would like a nice clean safe hotel around $200.00 a night. We are wondering if we should stay in Virginia and then drive over during the day? Is parking expensive if we do that? We were even considering to treat ourselves to at least 2 nights at the Williard,(I know it is more than $200.00), but would 3 tourists in jeans from Indiana feel comfortable there? Any suggestions on hotels, attractions or agendas would be more than welcomed!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Part of the appeal of really nice hotels is that they make everyone feel welcome!

Why not average out your budget and stay at a mid range Washington DC hotel instead of a couple days in Virginia and a couple days in DC?

If you do stay in Virginia, stay at a hotel on the Metro line so you can use public transportation.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Since DC is a major tourist destination, u see all kinds, dressed all ways in all hotels. So you'll be fine at the Willard or anywhere else. U don't want to deal with driving your car into the city and then finding parking. Too much traffic and parking garages/lots can be $20 or so a day. I agree that if u stay in Va or MD stay near a metro. Chevy Chase, MD has a couple hotels near the metro and it's about 15 minutes into DC. Embassy Suites is right at the metro in Chevy Chase Pavillon, a shopping mall.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 07:54 PM

There are a number of nice chain hotels right across the street from the Metro stop in Old Town Alexandria, which is a lovely area with loads of restaurants and shops to occupy the evenings. Problem is, I don't know that rates would be under $200...

In DC, check rates at the Tabard Inn and Jury's Dupont Circle. I agree with the idea of staying in the city and paying somewhat more than $200, and skipping the Willard. Have high tea at the Willard! That would be fun, I think.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I still am so confused on where to stay....
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:53 AM

Check the rates at any the hotels in the Kimpton chain (there are several to choose from both in DC and in Alexandria). www.kimpton.com [ With this new forum format, I have no idea if that will come out formatted as a link. ]

We like the Madera - great location near Dupont Circle (easy metro access), nice rooms, but it might be a little out of your range. Although, iit looks like f you are doing an extended stay (7 nights minimum) there is a < $200/night rate.

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:54 AM

Good! the web link came out ok...
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:55 AM

Too bad it's the wrong website..... SORRY ABOUT THAT!!
Try this one....

http://www.kimptonhotels.com/

It will be nice to have the edit post functionality returned....
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:13 AM

We usually stay at the Embassy Suites in Alexandria. It is jjust across the street from the Metro statiion which will take you downtown D.C. in around 20 mins.

One of the things we like about staying out is the ability to get away from the downtown and relax in Old Town Alexandria.

http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_...x.do?WT.srch=1
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM

We recently stayed at the Swann House near Dupont Circle - it is a 12-room Select Registry B&B. Most rooms are doubles but there are a few suits which would sleep three and at that time of the year the rate is around $250/night. An abundant continental breakfast is included in the room rate - it really is abundant, as much as you want to eat and plenty of options. We found it to be a very pretty place but casual enough for jeans and sneakers, with very helpful staff for restaurant recommendations.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I checked the Embassy Suites in Old Town and they have no double beds for our time frame but I do like Embassy Suites! My second choice is the Madera. I REALLY like the looks of the Madera ALOT and think I am going to reserve there. I just couldn't find any information on that page of how much they charge to park my car there. I am assuming $30 a day like everyone else but I am going to call an d be sure. What is on the block of this hotel? Shops? Or is it better to stay in at night? Thank you "Go Away"!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 04:59 AM

I am not sure what you mean by is it better to stay in at night, but you are a few blocks from P Street, which has a lot of restaurants and Connecticut Avenue which has shops and restaurants.

----
Fees
Hotel Madera - a Kimpton Hotel charges the following fees and deposits at either check-in or check-out.

• Valet parking: $30 overnight; eco-friendly cars are complimentary

The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.
http://travel.wwte1.com/pub/agent.dl...t=&thar=&thid=
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Dear vjpblovesitaly: When I stated "stay in at night", I should clarify that I was referring if the hotel was just around other commercial buidlings, like downtown DC, where there are no restaurants, Trader's Joe's, shopping,ect. I would prefer to be where I could have the option of going out and doing something without a long walk. Thank you for your response and help!