Help! Honeymoon in Maine?

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Help! Honeymoon in Maine?

Hello! My fiancee and I are getting married in June and will be traveling mid-month. We live in Las Vegas, and we wanted to go somewhere we've never been for our honeymoon.

We were trying to think out of the box, and thought Maine might be nice for planning our 4-night trip.

Problem is, most of the travel sites do not have inclusive packages for Maine, and since neither one of us has ever been there (or even to the East Coast!) we have no idea where to go, stay, or what to do.

We know we would like to be near the beach. We love quiet and peacefulness. We love animals and scenery but are not into "adventures" or outdoor sports/activities. We do like exploring new shops, restaurants, art, etc. Basically, we want to relax and enjoy ourselves but still get out and explore new places a bit.

Is there anyone from the area or who travels there often who can advise us? It would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 03:44 AM

If you fly into Portland,ME you will find a lovely small city. If you want beaches, south of there are a variety of nice sandy beaches, York, Ogunquit, Moody, Wells, Ocean Park, Old Orchard, etc. North of there are some like Popham SP but the coast also is rocky. It is Maine and the water will be cold until August. The weather is quite variable in June, sometimes warm and lovely, sometimes rainy and cold. A trip up to Acadia National Park along route 1 takes you through lots of towns with shops, and Bar Harbor has a collection of shops too. There is always Freeport, home of LL Bean and outlets, a destination for many. If you look at the coast of Maine you will notice that it is very fractured above Portland, so to see coastal areas you have to take the side roads that go down the many fingers. There are ferries from Portland and several other places along the coast that go to the many islands along the way. From Vegas you may find that you get better flights and cheaper into Manchester, NH or Boston but that would involve a little more driving.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 03:58 AM

See - www.gatewaytomaine.org. The Yorks area would be a wonderful place to go. There is easy access from Boston Logan Airport - just over 1 hour +15 minute drive! York Harbor is a great place with old mansions made into inns, good restaurants, a few quaint shops and a great cozy beach. The is a gorgeous walk along the cliffs, water and beautiful mansions. Just up the road in York Beach there is Long Sands Beach, a very long and great walking beach. Downtown York Beach is more little tourist shops and a small beach there. Nubble Lighthouse is also great to stop at. I love June as school isn't out yet and things are just starting to get open. Everything is clean and fresh for the beginning of the season. We have a place there and we will be heading there mid-June.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 04:09 AM

I agree that Portland, Maine is a very nice small city - but if you are thinking more luxury, check out webiste cliffhousemaine.com - a nice resort type place still within an easy drive to all sorts of things - closer to a beach, although do not think Florida or west coast beaches - northern New England beaches are rocky and the water is so cold only the local seals can tolerate it.

Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park might better fit your description - so check that out as well. But for 4 nights transportation there might take too long.

I would check flights, but it is likely that flying into Portland would involve more cost and time - Boston (Logan) is less than 2 hours from Portland and you will want a rental car while in Maine anyway. Since you have never been to the east coast, why not fly into Boston and spend a night there at beginning or end of trip.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:02 AM

The trouble with Maine is there is so much of it to explore. Get the best airfare deal - Boston or Manchester NH would only add about 2 hours or less to your drive and if you choose southern Maine (south of Portland) the drive is even shorter. But, since you said mid-June ... I would suggest mid-coast Maine where it will be quieter AND lupines should be blooming. There is even a small town lupine festival you could visit - Stonington, I think, which is almost to Acadia. But even discounting lupines, I vote for the Camden area as most romantic (Camden is home to several windjammers - the harbor is beautiful). Visit Cellar Door Winery in nearby Lincolnville for a wine tasting. Forget inclusive resorts, the real reason to visit Maine is to enjoy some lobster, preferably at a small lobster shack. Our most favorite place is Weatherman's Beach which is close to Owls Head Light near Rockland (the lighthouse is a nice easy hike to a splendid view). Just check open times because the tourist season doesn't really start until July 1. They should be open at leasst on weekends starting Memorial Day weekend. Forget swimming that time of year unless it's in a hotel pool. Evenings near the water can be chilly so bring jackets/sweaters. If you prefer dining in nice restaurants, Portland would be a great choice and less driving. There's lots of places to explore no matter what part of the coast you choose. Best wishes!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:06 AM

I think Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park is the best thing in Maine. I wonder if you can get a flight into Bangor, which would make the transit time a bit more reasonable? and then just spend the 4 days in Bar Harbor. Stay at the Bar Harbor Inn, right on the waterfront, eat in nice restaurants, and spend time enjoying the beautiful scenery.

Its one of my favorite places in the world.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:43 AM

Acadia is one of my favorite places ever, but I don't think it will suit you based on your description of what you're looking for, there's no shopping, and LOTS of outdoor activities!

~Liz
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 08:13 AM
HKP

www.bradleyinn.com - not ON a beach although you can see water from some rooms, but 5 min. walk from my favorite lighthouse-plus-rocks place (Pemaquid) - charming inn, very romantic honeymoon-y (they have weddings there, too).

About "beach" - from Portland north, it's rocky shores, not much beach. AND the water is bitter cold except for 3 days in August.

About things to do - most towns are either inland or perched around a small harbor, so it's not often you'd find a romantic inn overlooking the water that's also within walking distance from shops and restaurants. You might luck out around Camden or Rockland - others will have suggestions there.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Hi serendipity-

We also spent our honeymoon in Maine- in June (but it was 10 years ago.)

We had a great time and so my tips are less about specific places to stay or eat and more about what made it a great trip for us.

We started in Portland, as recommended above, with a car. We enjoyed touring around town on the first day, lunch at a clam shack type place on the water, and dinner at a fancy restaurant. Then we did something totally unromantic and ended up playing air hockey in a sports bar for three hours. We had a blast but then could not raise our right arms the next morning!

The next day we drove up the coast, stopping to poke around LL Bean and eat lunch on the coast at an outdoor hole in the wall with great simple food (lobster rolls- yum!).

We got to our next base, outside of Eastport, that night. We stayed here: http://www.westonhouse-maine.com/ It is under new ownership but it is a gorgeous house in lovely natural surroundings and a short drive from downtown Eastport, Machias, etc. The lupins were in bloom everywhere and it was wonderful and romantic.

We loved Eastport and ate tons of lobster. It's a cute waterfront town with beautiful old houses, some cute shops and restaurants, the very cool tide that comes in and goes out at an astonishing rate, and really nice people.

We took a day trip to Campobello Island and saw the Roosevelt
"cottage" (more like a mansion).

From there we headed out to Mt Katahdin for hiking, which might not be your thing.

My tips: bring warm clothes and be ready for romantic walks bundled up in a thick sweater, followed by steamy bowls of chowder. That way, if you don't get nice June temps, you can still be cozy and enjoy the experience.

Just drive around. We found gorgeous scenery, saw a moose in the middle of the road, discovered some type of local smoked fish that we loved, found a cute little farm where we bought homemade jam and pickles, saw some seals while walking at a cove, hunted for sweet grass, and generally had a lazy, lovely, low key time.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Check out Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, just outside Portland. Also Captain Lord Mansion in Kennebunkport or the York Harbor Inn or Stage Neck Inn, both in York Harbor Maine.

Maine is a wonderful destination. Congratulations.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone! You have given me many ideas. I had also found many websites recommending Acadia and the surrounding areas, but some of you were correct that the flight cost is outrageous! I will definitely look into flying into Boston or NH to make things more reasonable. I don't want to be driving all day either, so I'll have to find some kind of compromise!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:03 PM

We are from San Diego and LOVE Maine and stayed a couple of years ago at the White Barn Inn..I cannot stress how wonderful this place is..the town of Kennebunk and Kennebunkport are so darling..it is a little pricey but it is your honeymoon.

Congrat's to you both!

www.whitebarninn.com
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:45 PM

We love the White Barn Inn or their sister Inns, The Beach House and Breakwater, all in Kennebunkport. We land in Boston and drive an hour and half there. Stayed 16 times, coming from Socal. WBI is the only 5 star restaurant in ME. It is an experience you will never forget.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:48 PM

All wonderful suggestions.

If you are hoping for a more affordable accomadation I have two that might fit the bill in ogunquit. What I love about Ogunquit is the 3 mile hard sand beach and the rocky marginal way, a paved walkway that lines the rocky coast.

My two favorite places to stay are next to each other. The Sparhawk is nicer. I have stayed there off season and pulled the bedding onto the lanai to sleep with the waves crashing below - heaven! http://thesparhawk.com/index.cfm

I stay at the seachambers.com at least once or twice a year. Rooms are rustic, but the views, and the multi levels and the pool. If you could get the end ocean front units, that would be cool.

Why I love these two properties? Because the ever changing seascape is just so spectacular. It is a huge tide, so the view is ever changing. There are some nice restaurants and shops walking distance. You can take a drive to White Barn Inn for a splurge dinner, if the lodging is too much. And it's not too far from Logan or Manchester Airport. With just 4 nights, I think trying to go further north could be too much travelling, and not enuff honeymooning.

Again, there isn't a single property recommended here that I wouldn't agree with being just a great destination. Coastal Maine is fantastic. Check back as you make some decisions. There's a great wealth of information from an eclectic group of people who love all things New England.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:26 PM

There are so many beautiful places to see in Maine. I have lived here for about 20 years and, while my favorite spot is Penobscot Bay, it is quite a drive. Just know that you can spend lots of time driving. It's about 3.5 hours from Portland to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park. Camden/Rockport is about 1 - 1.5 hours from Portland, so check your travel times since you only have 4 days. If you're looking for beach, I think bennnie's recommendation of The Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth is a good one. It's right on the beach and it's quiet and romantic. Portland, only about 15-20 minute drive, will offer you top restaurants, ferries to some Casco Bay islands, unique shopping and culture if you want it. You can day trip to Kennebunkport (a quaint town south) or Freeport (LLBean & shopping). You could also drive up to the Camden/Rockport area which is also beautiful, but not much for beaches. But you may enjoy seeing the Maine rocky coastline which makes it so different from the West Coast. There is the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland which features some Wyeth paintings. With only 4 days, I think the Portland area will offer you plenty and keep you from spending too much time in the car. A good lobster-in-the-rough spot is the Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster in South Freeport. Have fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM

What a perfect state for a honeymoon! I agree with all of the above and think mid-coast (Camden and Rockland) and north (Bar Harbor and Acadia) are the most beautiful! Rockland has a lot to offer with the Farnsworth Art museum, art galleries, and wonderful restaurants. Primo is one of the best restaurants in the world! Fresh everything and great wine list! You could also take a ferry from Lincolnville to Islesboro and stay at the Dark Harbor House. Enjoy and Congratulations!