Search

Hotel Reviews

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Reviews

We are staying at the Grand Wailea Hotel in Maui for two weeks in October (first visit). I have read some mixed reviews about this hotel. Has anyone been there recently and can give me an update on their experience.

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 08:11 AM

We had a wonderful time there in 2004 and are returning in one month. I'll be sure and post my impressions when I get back. I, too, have been following the suddenly terrible reviews on Trip Advisor and am taking them with a major grain of salt. I wouldn't put too much stock in them as it will only make you worry about a decision you've already made. There was a spate of bad reviews before my trip two years ago as well. The grounds are gorgeous, the pools are the best in Hawaii, the beach is divine. No they don't spray the hot sand so your tootsies don't get too hot like they do at the Four Seasons. But who cares?... I guess, not me.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Neopolitan

I know I will get slammed for this because there are some here who hate the idea of trying to make the forum work better for all of us, but here goes anyway.

Everybody who comes here has probably stayed at some hotel at some time, so when they are going through the list of topics here (and most don't click on a state, but go through all the US topics without knowing what state you have clicked) nearly everyone will click on your post.

Since a great many people here have never been to Hawaii, and an even greater number of people have never stayed at the Grand Wailea, you have in a sense asked everyone who comes here to click on your title to see what it's about, even though only a tiny fraction would be able to help.

It would be much better if you would post a title like "Comments on Grand Wailea in Maui". I am not yelling at you for doing this, how could you know? But asking you to consider it the next time.

Just a helpful hint for future use. Meanwhile go ahead those of you who hate improvement of any kind -- slam away. I can take it.

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 08:36 AM

I think you were most helpful Neo and rex has been doing this for years, how else do newbies find their way around? A veteran poster helps..and the newbies do appreciate it, I did
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 08:40 AM

That's a great post, Neopolitan. I also wish folks could be a tad more specific.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Very helpful remarks, Neo, and very nicely put.

Wasn't the Grand Wailea recently taken over by Hilton?

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:01 AM

You will notice that when you see a lot of bad reviews in a row that it is most likely spring break, Christmas or Summer. When hotels are full to capacity there are bound to be many glitches in the level of service. Especially with the mega resorts in Hawaii. We are returning to the Grand Wailea in September and were a bit nervous about the reviews. We are worried that they are now Hilton and the service has gone down hill. We pay a LOT of money for these rooms and we want our experience to be perfect. We have made the mistake in the last couple of years of going over in March. After a long, cold winter here in the northeast, we can't wait to get to a warmer climate. We also go over in September or October and find that the levels of service are far better.

A mega resort is not going to hire more employees just to cover these busy times. Spring break lasts about a month, if that. Christmas break lasts about 2 weeks, if that. I can see hiring some extra help during the summer because that's when all hell breaks loose, all summer. We have gotten very aggitated when the level of service we have paid for is not what it should be. We have even sworn off certain resorts because they have treated us like now that they got our $700 per night they just don't care hoe they treat you. They don't need your repeat business because they have all the conventions and honeymooners they could ever handle. Sometimes we change our mind and try a hotel again. If they treat us like we don't matter for a second time then we will never return. Some that we have tried again have really tried to please us. Others just don't give a darn. We have three resorts in Hawaii that we will never set foot in again because of the lack of customer service. If they don't want our $700 a night there are other hotels that do. We don't pay $129.99 for our hotels. It's more in the $500-800 range. I want that level of service and that's why we go to these places. Some people don't care, they just want a bed to sleep in. To each his own. We are not finger snappers, but we like the foo-foo thngs that go with a luxury resort.A great bed, fluffy towels and a wonderful pool are important to us. Just make up my room at 9:30 AM and my turndown at 7:00 PM and I am happy. We were at the Grand Wailea last April. The grounds are amazing. They are actually jaw dropping even to the point of almost tacky, but still beautiful. The rooms on the other hand are tired. They are also dark because the sun doesn't come over the building until late afternoon. The decor in the room we had was also dark. Dark earthtones such as browns and rust. We had a problem with housekeeping doing our room when we wanted so we made a call to the GM's office. He was the nicest man and truly made it up to us. He almost went too far. We are happy to be going back, but we are a bit skeptical now that they are a Hilton. I want to find out when they are going to renovate the rooms.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Neopolitan

Thanks for the support guys. I felt like the "soft sell" in that post was overkill, but I'm learning that a simple but polite "It would help if you could include the name of the place in your title" is often regarded as being rude and pointless. It seems a lot of people here look for the negative in posts and try to intrepret helpfulness as rudeness.

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:25 AM

We were at the Grand Wailea during our kids spring break. The grounds are still gorgeous, and I had the best time at their wonderful spa. However, we went to make an inquiry (for a friend) at the weddings dept and was quite offended by the rudeness of the weddings dept manager. I realize it is a high stress job, but I can't imagine having a wedding there after receiving such a cold reception. (The weddings dept at the Four Seasons were exceptionally gracious.) Everywhere else the service was fine, and despite the crowd, the pools and restaurants weren't overrun with people and kids as I had imagined being spring break. You will enjoy the pool--loads of fun. Let me know which treatment you had at the spa and how it was.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help and advice everyone!
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:38 AM

When we were in Maui - we looked at the Grand Wailea and could not wait to leave. We go to 4S on Big Island for luxury. 4S Maui (which is nothing like the glitz at Wailea) is more low key than its neighbor Grand Wailea. It seems that you can find that in Las Vegas. It give tacky new meaning. Luxury should not equate with tacky as these owners have determined.
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:28 AM

There is absolutely nothing WORSE than a "review" employing terms such as "tacky" and "luxury" without any frame of reference whatsoever and IMO totally not helpful.

Example: [since we live in a rundown trailer] we go to the FS for luxury.
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Well said Neopolitan. Although we were all newbies once, reinforcing the little things sure helps.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Clap clap Neo. I didn't need to open this thread!

But now that I'm here, Tresa, I'll just bet I know where you read those mixed reviews. Take them with a grain of salt...you'll find mixed reviews on every single hotel there is. Go with the majority!
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
interesting dynamic - re Neopolitan's suggestion and generic/useless titles.

here on the USA forum there are relatively a LOT of threads w/ generic subject lines, and most get no advice about re-posting w/ a better title.

Over on the Europe board - almost all threads w/ generic titles will get immediate comments along the lines of Neoploitan's.

I wonder why that is? Maybe the majority of posters on the United States forum only click on one state and the generic titles don't bother them - while most on the Europe board cruise the whole list.

Less than informative titles on this side do bug me - but I don't usually say anything since no one else seems to mind. Wheras over there - yep -

Old May 12th, 2006, 01:40 PM

SLAM YOU, NEO!!!

It's a dirty job, but you asked to be slammed and some one had to step up and do it.
8-)