Hotel Question Waikiki

Search

Hotel Question Waikiki

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Question Waikiki

Will be going to Honolulu mid May and was hoping someone can tell me which is better Sheraton Moana Surfsider or Royal Hawaiian, will appreciate your input.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:02 PM

"Better" is highly subjective, but the Ala Moana Surfrider has been completely renovated (have only seen the public areas), has a stunning back porch/deck with sunset views and pretty good live Hawaiian music, and a killer front deck (complete with rocking chairs) to peruse the happenings on the main drag, Kalakaua Blvd.

IMO, no real choice at all: Surfrider.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:15 PM

Not the Ala Moana Surfrider, but the Sheraton Moana Surfrider. I think you will enjoy either....I think there's more parking at the Royal Hawaiian, though, if that makes a difference.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:15 PM

The Surfrider may have been renovated but IMO the best rooms are in the newer tower which have ocean views. When I was there this past December I was a little surprised at how dark the hallways in the older part of the building were.

regardless of where you end up staying, if you are there on a Sunday do not miss the brunch on the verandah at the Surfrider. It is a wonderful and unforgettable experience.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I only experienced dining, not staying at either hotel.

Inquire about a dinner reservation at Royal Hawaiian & staff was extremely not very nice.

Moana Surfrider were wonderfully friendly and I had a fantastic birthday dinner at sunset at a primo table at the Banyan Veranda restaurant. Good food too. I was solo and they couldn't have made the experience more perfect.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM

I can't comment on accomodations but have visited for drinks and dined at both. I love both these hotels and wish one day to stay at both. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Stay at one and visit the other. The Royal Hawaiian does stand out just a tweak more as more romantic to me though. I love the tiki torch lit (outside) courtyard that greets you upon arrival and the interior grand hallways with grand furniture. Also the stunning pink color of the building itself. Service for drinks or dinner was great at both places and I've visited each place 6 times. They are both centrally located in the heart of Waikiki for shopping/ walking, etc. I just love them both! I would also have a hard time choosing between these hotels. Wish I could help you with input about the rooms but I hope this was helpful.
Enjoy your trip!
Annika
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. It means a lot will let you know when I come back (and finally decide ))