Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Honolulu/Waikiki hotel rec? Bonus for good bathroom and nice view!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a last minute trip to Hawaii, and I would like to spend 2-3 nights in Waikiki or Honolulu in the first week of December. I've studied the websites for hotels, but I can't get enough information about what I'm interested in.

I'd like a hotel with a great view of the water and a bathroom with a separate shower and tub. I'd prefer a hotel that is up to date and close to the beach or to other areas of interest in Honolulu. I'd be happy to do a suite at a less luxurious hotel if it's more cost effective.

Thanks!
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What price range? Which of the hotels are you considering? Does the hotel need to be actually beach-front or just have a VIEW out to the water?
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Price range is flexible - I'd love to keep it under $400, but if you're telling me that the Halekulani is THAT good and worth every penny, then I'll certainly consider it. It will only be two nights.

The hotel need not be beach front, just have a good view (not a squint and ignore the two huge buildings in the way of the view). If it's off to the side of Honolulu, I guess I don't care THAT much, unless finding parking everywhere will be enormously difficult.

Thanks!
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM

If you go to expedia.com (the only one I checked) the Hilton Hawaiian Village has oceanview rooms for under $250 a night from December 1 to 9 (the only dates I entered.) Great beach, pool, and view. Plenty of shops and food and path leading straight out to lovely walk along the ocean.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 03:14 PM

The Halekulani is THAT good and worth every penny. Gracious rooms and ambience; great views; location central to everything in Waikiki; and wonderful, award-winning restaurants.

I've not priced hotels in Waikiki, as I live in Honolulu. You might also check the Sheraton Waikiki Hotel. I have been in rooms there that had fabulous views of the ocean and Diamond Head. These were "money is no object" hospitality rooms for conventions, so they may be too pricey.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Another vote for the Hilton Hawaiian Village -- the Ali'i Tower is the most luxurious of the bunch, so price out a room there. Not sure about the separate bath/shower -- honestly can't remember the bathroom from when I stayed there, but it was definitely nice.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM

I love the spacious upper floor "deluxe corner rooms" at the Marriott Waikiki. These rooms have 2 walls of windows with great views.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 10:58 PM

The Moana Surfrider has some nice rooms, is on the beach and is updated. I really like the rooms in the new tower.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:17 AM

I stayed in a room at the Sheraton Waikiki that had an amazing view of the ocean and beach. The hotel is in a very good location, too. It was a Starwood points upgrade, however, and I don't know how much more a room with a view would cost if you're not using points.