hotel options in miami

Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

hotel options in miami

Visiting miami next weekend with my husband and are currently planning on staying at the ritz carlton in coconut grove. We are considering changing it to the mercury in south beach. We don't want to be near clubs, but good restaurants and shops. Any recommendations out there on these 2 hotels or others?
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:00 PM

All of South Beach is "near clubs", and that includes the Mercury. The Ritz-Carlton sounds pretty nice. The Mandarin Oriental, on Biscayne Bay, is supposed to be spectacular-- you might check that out. And how about the Sheraton Bal Harbour? The Bal Harbour Shops are nearby....
Apr 7th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input on the hotels. Do you know if Coconut Grove is an appealing area to stay in?. We like more hip shops and casual restaurants than "uppity" places. I know that south beach offers this, but not as quiet an area I think.
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:05 AM

I'm gonna "top" this for you-- I don't know Coconut Grove at all. Any Miamians or informed travelers that can give the 411 on this neighborhood...?
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

You mentioned Bal Harbour area and the Sheraton there, what about the Beach House at Bal Harbour. We aren't big fans of chain hotels except the Ritz.
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Truth be told, I've never stayed up in Bal Harbour. I've heard the Sheraton is nice (not THRILLING, but quite nice). When I go to Miami, I always stay in South Beach, precisely because of its nightlife. If you don't mind the clubs being nearby, you could always stay in South Beach up on the "quiet" end of Ocean Drive-- the Tides and properties north tend to be quieter than, say, around the Clevelander or the Pelican.
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Coconut Grove is very nice and has some very good restaurants. The Ritz is a very good choice.
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:34 AM

Coconut Grove is where people who go to the University of Miami go to club most of the time. The night life scene there is a little more laid back than South Beach, but it still isn't what I would call quiet. Lincoln Road in South Beach has some of the best restaurants, and is near 17th street and Collins. For vacationers, I would recommend South Beach. Bal Harbor (I believe you can check out the Shops online) is quieter. You are about a 20 dollar cab ride from south beach in bal harbor, so you can still go to the restaurants and such down there. Bal Harbor has some great restaurants, too.