Hotel Monaco in SF, area bad?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:28 PM
arielle

Hotel Monaco in SF, area bad?

We're staying in the Hotel Monaco in SF in July and I've read some posts that it's in a bad area frequented by the homeless and prostitutes? I have also read posts from tourists saying they felt perfectly safe and had no problems? We already have booked a room,but I could use some tips of particular areas to avoid. Thanks!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:45 PM
David

Arielle,

I have stayed at the Hotel Monaco twice and loved both it and the area. Yes, there is a homeless problem in San Francisco and if you're not used to seeing a large homeless population it can be quite a shock. However, we have never felt threatened and have found that if you just say no or try to ignore them they stop bothering you.

You will love the hotel, nice rooms (especially the upper suites with living room and jacuzzi)nice corner bar and restaurant and good location for getting where you wish to go. Theatre, shopping, financiial district are all just a stone's throw away and the cable car stop is just a few blocks.

Make sure to go accross the street to Maddie's for breakfast while you're there.

Have fun,

David

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Jayne

Arielle,

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco last month for a few days, and your concerns about prostitutes and the homeless are warranted. I found the homeless there to be quite brave in their tactics about obtaining money. I even had some curse and spit at me when I refused to give them anything. I felt that it was a very shady area and did not feel safe at all. I also notice the same problems in other tourist areas of SF such as Fisherman's Wharf and even in some of the nicer areas sych as Nob Hill. All in all I was quit disappointed with SF as a city.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Jayne

Arielle,

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco last month for a few days, and your concerns about prostitutes and the homeless are warranted. I found the homeless there to be quite brave in their tactics about obtaining money. I even had some curse and spit at me when I refused to give them anything. I felt that it was a very shady area and did not feel safe at all. I also notice the same problems in other tourist areas of SF such as Fisherman's Wharf and even in some of the nicer areas sych as Nob Hill. All in all I was quite disappointed with SF as a city.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 01:14 PM
NoWay

Oh oh.
Looks like the "I hate SF" bashing contingent from the San Jose Chamber of Commerce have finally sobered up!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 01:20 PM
X

Arielle,

Anytime someone tells the truth about SF, No way will say that they work for the San Jose Chamber of Commerce. No way, I guess that you are not creative enough to come up with a different line. Now go back to playing in your sandbox.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 01:26 PM
amy

I have to agree with David, above ... I love the area that the Hotel Monaco is in. We did not stay there, but closeby at the Pan-Pacific. The area is buzzing with activity, great architecture and is close to Union Square. We found it quite convenient. There are many, many hotels in this area ... big names like Hilton, etc. ... it is not a shady area by any means. You have to realize that when you are in a big city there could (and most likely will) be homeless people anywhere. Just ignore 'em. They are harmless. The person who said someone spit on her, had a rare occurance.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 02:10 PM
NoWay

About as original as "I just got back from SF and all people there were homeless, spitting, begging, drug addicted prostitutes walking around even in Pacific Heights."
OR, "I live in SF and it's not the city it once used to be....blah blah blah...."

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Jason

We're visiting San Francisco now and staying at the Monaco. The area outside is fine. Last night, there was one homeless guy sleeping near the hotel. I actually thought I'd see MORE homeless people based on the "sky is falling" comments I've read on fodors. The Monaco hotel is nice as well.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:29 AM
arielle

Thanks so much for your replies! I feel much better about our trip now, : )!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:51 AM
SF problem

Arielle,

This about sums up San Francisco's problem in a recent newspaper article.

It takes only a few blocks to realize that street people and panhandlers are as much a part of this gilded hill city as the Golden Gate, the Presidio, or the striking views of Alcatraz from Russian Hill.

San Francisco belongs to them as much as it does to the scions of Pacific Heights or former dotcomers now working in temp jobs. In this tolerant city, politicians who have sought to remove them from street corners have long been labeled callous - and often rousted from office. Here, urinating in public is a cherished right.

As the problem grows, however, San Francisco appears to be reaching its breaking point. According to some estimates, it has roughly the same number of homeless people as New York, even though it has one-tenth the population. Two years ago, nearly 200 people died on the streets - twice as many as in the state of Florida.

The homeless problem has become cataclysmic in San Francisco," says Gray Brechin, a historian at the University of California in Berkeley.

Since 2000, the homeless population of San Francisco has grown by more than a third, totaling some 7,300 people. In places such as the Tenderloin district, streets seem little more than galleries of "Checks Cashed" signs, strip clubs, and wobbly shopping carts packed with worn clothes, trinkets, and trash. Sidewalks double as sleeping quarters, and the smell of stale urine is rarely far away.

Mr. Brechin says he won't come into San Francisco, because he "can't take it anymore." Six-year resident Sonja Brandjes is sometimes afraid to walk the streets in certain parts of town. "It's worse than it has ever been," she says. "We just accept it because it has always been there, but I don't think it's safe."

For example, while most municipalities offer benefits to the homeless in the form of a small cash stipend and other benefits such as vouchers or shelter beds, San Francisco still gives about one-third of its homeless population its benefits all in cash - as much as $395 a month. At the same time, the number of deaths among the homeless has increased recently - from 103 in 1995 to 183 in 2000.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Traveling man

Hey, somebody's figured out how to use the cut and paste feature on their computer! School's out for summer!