San Francisco hotels: Which would you choose?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Mark

San Francisco hotels: Which would you choose?

Folks,
I'll be staying in SF for 3 nights next month (2 adults and an 11 yr. old). I have the same deal at the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental, Renaissance Stanford Court, and the "W." For those of you who have stayed at these hotels and know a little about them, which would you choose and why?
Thanks a lot.
Mark

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 03:15 PM
SF Native

I could recommand Renaissance for its location. It's right at Union Square where you can conveniently get to all locations in San Francisco. Mark Hopkins is an excellent hotel on top of one of the hilly roads where you can get a good view of the city. However, it is just a few blocks farther. W hotel is very nice but it's more trendy and not as family oriented.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 03:20 PM
SFer

As a long time resident of SF, I would not recommend staying near Union Square(too many homeless people in your face, and recently this area has become very run down). Unfortunately, musch of SF in recent years has seen a rise in drug dealing and prostitution, even in once nice areas of the city. I sincerely hope that you do not get a bad impression of our city.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Georgee

Stayed in Union Square for a week last Sept. People were bitchin' about the homeless then, as well.

We had no problem with them there, or elsewhere around the City.

All cities, big and small, have the problem. The cosmopolitan city person (dweller or visitor) understands the problem, recognizes that there's no equitable solution, and learns to live with it.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 06:38 PM
bettyk

I think SF needs a new mayor.