Hotel Iroquois or Hotel Mela

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip for 2 adults to New York for July 10-17, 2010. Hoping to find a hotel for $200 a night. Would you recommend Iroquois or Hotel Mela? I realize the rooms are extremely small. Looking for a reasonably priced, nice hotel a block or so off the Times Square area. Both hotels have excellent reviews with the exception of room size.

Thanks,
Gina
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 10:05 AM

I like the Iroquois myself, but the Mela has a more contemporary feel.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 10:42 AM

For a weekend, maybe but I wouldn't settle for a small (maybe dark) room for a week's stay and neither should you. I think you can do better than either of these. At that time of year prices are relatively low and it may be too early to see best deals right now. If you want to book something cancelable, fine. But I wouldn't commit to either of the ones you mention if they're not cancelable. I'll add that unless you plan on seeing a lot of theater, there's no real reason to stay off Times Square.

Near Times Square the Hampton Inn Times Square North & the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square may not be as elegant as the 2 you mention but rooms are large and airy. The Strand is a new boutique hotel on west 37th st. off Fifth ave. Reviews on tripadvisor have been ravesl, they comp cont. b/f and wifi and they have a rooftop bar. I think you could get the NY Hilton for ~ $200/night plus tax. Yes, it's a big convention hotel but rooms are decent size and it's one of the best locations in the city.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 10:46 AM

PS, travelzoo.com is the place to look for bargains about 2-3 months before your stay. Travel-ticker.com too. If there's a hotel that you particularly like, it also doesn't hurt to phone and see if they'll offer you a good deal. And while everyone has different taste, I prefer the ambiance of the Algonquin which is next door to the Iroquois.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input.

Doug - I liked the reviews/pictures of the Iroquois better also. The Mela, however, had excellent rates on their website.

McLaurie - You gave some excellent advice. I am such a planner and hate waiting to the last minute. But, if I can get a better deal by booking closer to my stay, I would take a chance.

You are right, I really don't prefer to stay "in" Times Square. We only plan to see a couple of plays. It just seems like that area is in the center of everything and would be easy access to what we want to see.

I want to be near a metro station and within walking distance of informal restaurants/diners (nothing fancy, we eat cheap). We plan on walking most of the time.

Any more suggestions on hotels would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gina
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:02 AM

Gina, you don't have to stay in the middle of Times Square to find what you're looking for. If you can book the Iroquois with a no-cancellation penalty, I'd do it and then keep looking.

Frankly, staying at the Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn will put you closer to cheaper restaurants in Midtown, which are mostly along 9th Avenue rather than in the heart of Times Square (full of overpriced, touristy shlock for the most part---even the diners). I must say, however, that I like HB Burger, which is near Times Square. It's not that expensive and has good burgers and is generally easy to get into.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:15 AM

Doing a search on kayak.com there are some very good rates for the Royalton hotel (on the same block as the Iroquois and the Algqonquin) on Orbitz and they're cancelable up to a day before. The 380sf king sounds very good @ $224/night plus tax but there are prices under $200/night for smaller rooms.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM

You can also check quikbook.comm for good hotel rates. Sometimes, the hotel's own website beats everyone else's advertised rates so check there too.

Of your choices, I prefer the Iroquois, hands down. It's my favorite place to stay in the City. The Royalton is dark and broody, I think. The Algonquin has a great lobby, so-so Ikea styled rooms.

You can have breakfast at the Red Flame, steps away from the Iroquois and dinner at the great Greek restaurants right across the street from the Iroquois. (forgot the name, but I'll check on menupages.com or google maps and re-post).
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 10:02 AM

The Greek restaurant is Kellari Taverna:

http://www.kellari.us/

Enjoy!
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 12:34 PM

My vote is for Iroquois. I stayed there last year and found it to be lovely. It is practically in Times Square - but on a quietish side street. Walking distance to many subway lines. Most theaters were in walking distance too. I also like staying in Times Square because you never feel that nervous walking to your hotel at night - there are always people around. Midtown gets deserted at night and it freaks me out.

Red Flame was crowded and icky (in my opinion.) We grabbed bagels to go for breakfast down the street and focused our efforts on the perfect lunch and dinner. We planned our dinners around the days itinerary and took a taxi back to the hotel.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 02:03 PM

Red Flame icky??!! Oh no! We have not found it to be icky at all! Sorry your experience was so awful, MBM! It's not fine dining either, that's for sure.

Times Square IS midtown, never deserted. I have to say there isn't any part of NYC that a traditional traveler would visit that makes me uncomfortable. Of course, I'm not traipsing through C.P. in the middle of the night, but I wouldn't traipse through our community park alone here in the middle of the night either. Don't be afraid to use the subway. It's fast (almost always faster than a cab), cheaper and safer than a cab ride.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

You've all given me great ideas.

I have checked every travel site known to man. My problem is I like to stay in luxury, but not at the price it demands! I can settle for middle ground, but do want a place with a very comfortable bed and is fairly quiet.

mclaurie - I am going to take your advice and wait until closer to time to book a hotel.

I found a good price for airfare from msy to lga (I live in Mississippi) that is non-stop. Great for me since my husband hates to fly! I may go ahead and book that.

Any more suggestions for 3-4 * hotels are appreciated.

Gina
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 05:44 AM

We stayed at Gild Hall last year and loved it. It's a 'new' hotel in the financial district close to the Seaport in lower Manhattan. It's a very quiet area at night but there are great subway options nearby. quikbook.com often has discounts for Gild Hall.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM

If you can book something you'd be happy with that's cancelable (like one of the 2 you mention) I'd do it. You have nothing to lose.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

I ended up booking a cancellable reservation at Hotel Mela for avg price of $159 per night for an executive queen with a 300 sq ft room. That price was booked through Mela's website. All reviews on different forums were very positive.

I liked the Iroquois better with the exception of room size. I really like the area of these hotels. Very close to everything but on a quieter side street.

I will take the advice to continue looking closer to my trip in July. If I find a nicer, roomier place, I can change. So many wonderful hotels, but I do prefer the boutique hotels.

Thanks again for everyone's input!!
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 04:06 AM

You got a great price! Have a wonderful trip!
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 10:49 AM

I agree that $159 is a great price for a 300 sf room.