Orlando in March

Feb 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Orlando in March

Looking to getaway from the cold. Two of us are thinking about a quick weekend trip to Disney and then take a day or two trip to a beach..any suggestions? and how is the weather at the end of March?
Thanks
Feb 21st, 2010, 10:43 AM

Welcome to Fodor's inspire!

It would be very helpful if you could give us more details about what you are seeking. For example, are you looking for a beach near Orlando? How far are you willing to travel, given your limited time here? Will you be staying overnight?

"How is the weather?" The weather for visiting Disney will be pleasant but the beaches (within a 60-75 mile radius of Orlando) MAY not have water warm enough for swimming. Sunning yourself on the sand or walking along the beach should be fine. My personal bias is to avoid Daytona and New Smyrna ("sharkbite capital of the world") Beaches. The beaches of Brevard County (Cocoa Beach, Melbourne Beach, Indialantic, etc.) are nicer.

What did you have in mind?

Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Vic!
I def. want some sun...i dont mind not swimming...just want to be able to sit outside etc. We dont mind driving since we will rent a car...hoping for a nice beach with restaurants and such close to town. We will be spending the night.
Thanks!
Feb 25th, 2010, 03:37 AM

inspire,
Here is a little more information on two beaches close to Orlando:

Cocoa Beach: http://tinyurl.com/yhholxt
Melbourne Beach: http://tinyurl.com/ylcg4qt

Feb 25th, 2010, 05:55 AM

If you prefer the Gulf side (as I do), try Clearwater, Indian Rocks Beach, Madeira Beach, St. Pete area. It's only about 1.5 hrs away.
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:04 AM

I agree with swalter... look at the Gulf side!! I much prefer it over the Atlantic side. I just stayed at Marriott Sand Key (just below Clearwater Beach) and Beachcomber in St Pete Beach a couple of weeks ago. Two very different properties, two different price ranges. Both were comfortable, both were close to dining/shopping, but the St Pete location has it within walking distance. I got in my car to get to such venues from Sand Key. That said, I would not hesitate to return to Marriott Suites Sand Key!! It was really lovely.
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:29 AM

I was never much of an Orlando person, until I took my high school band students to Orlando for a spring break trip. We did both Universal Parks and a day at the beach. I've done this trip twice now, once in 2007 and then again last year. Both trips were the last week of March. Both times I was like, "So, THIS is why people come to Florida this time of year!" We had wonderful weather, with temps in the mid-70's to low 80's, and sunshine, most of the time. With teenagers, we went to Cocoa Beach, which was fine, but you might try the Gulf side, if you want something a little less teen/surf oriented. The water was too cold for me, but the kids plunged right in and had a great time. I was content to just sit on the sand in the sun! Have a great trip!
Feb 27th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

THank you all for your great information...I truly appreciate the insight...looking up information now.