Search

Hotel in Portland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Portland

Looking to do a romantic weekend in Portland - need opinions on the nicest hotel or inn and a recommendation for dinner - we love seafood and italian food
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Hi janiekins, Oregon or Maine? Thanks. P.S. I love seafood and Italian food also.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Portland, Maine
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Portland Harbor Hotel is probably the nicest property. There are a ton of great restaurants within walking distance. We ate at Sofrito on Wharf Street the other night and thought it was very good - more of a northern Italian twist I think. Street and Co., right next door, is exclusively seafood. It's good but I think the Old Port Sea Grill on Commercial Street (a couple of blocks away) is far better. Fore Street Grill is also a good choice with a wider selection of non-seafood dishes.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 07:10 PM

I agree, the Portland Harbor Hotel is one of the newer and nicer hotels in downtown Portland, but there is also a brand-new Hilton downtown as well. Both are very convenient to a large variety of restaurants in the Old Port. I would definately recommend the Old Port Sea Grill (actually right next to the Hilton), but Eve's at the Portland Harbor Hotel is great too. One of my favorite places to eat is the Salt Water Grill, across Casco Bay in South Portland. They have a beautiful deck, overlooking a marina and you get the cityscape of Portland and can watch the boats come in and out of the harbor. The Scallops Carbonera is to die for!!! I would definately recommend this place. Also, Walter's for seafood and Cinque Terra on Wharf St. is a great place for Italian. Enjoy!!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 06:42 AM

For a low-end setting (and prices) try J's Oyster House, a little place that sits on the wharf.

The "outdoor seating" is actually tables and chairs in the parking lot. But the food and service and prices are good.

Street & Co. does have pretty good seafood, but we found the place to be bit noisy.

For a change of pace, go to the top of the Eastland Park Hotel for a drink and free hors d'oeuvres. Relaxed atmosphere with a nice view of the city and water.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:35 AM

Hugo's is under new management/ownership; the reviews have been outstanding.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 12:45 PM

The Danforth Inn is a lovely B&B located in the historic district. We stayed there several years ago, but all reviews I see are still excellent.

I just replied to another post looking for restaurants, so I'll share the same info with you. The other night, I read an online review by a restaurant critic who lives in the area. He said that when recently asked by a friend which restaurants to visit while in Portland, he told them the six that were not to be missed. They were Hugo's (hugos.net), Bandol (restaurantbandol.com), Fore St.(not sure of their web site), Cinque Terre (cinqueterremaine.com), Cafe Uffa (uffarestaurant.com), and Five Fifty-Five (fivefifty-five.com).

We've been to Fore St. and their sister restaurant Street & Co. and thought both were great. For seafood lovers, either would be a good choice. But Hugo's was just incredible. I'm not sure how "new" the chef, Rob Evans, is. He's been there at least a year, and he is very creative and very talented. We're heading there later this month for a couple of nights and have reservations at Hugo's and Bandol. Can't wait!