Hotel Helix Comments?

Search

Hotel Helix Comments?

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Helix Comments?

Anyone familiar with the Kimpton Group's Hotel Helix in DC? With very short notice, was able to get a decent rate for a two week stay and wondering about the location and general comments about the property.

Thought it would be more fun that staying at a Days Inn or Quality Inn. It's on Rhode Island Ave NW. Is it close to Metro stop? Any nightlife and restaurants in the area?

Thanks for your input.

Old May 25th, 2004, 11:56 AM

It's not that close to metro but certainly do-able. McPhearson Square stop is 5 blocks south at 14th & I st. and the Dupont Metro stop is 6 blocks northwest at 19th St. & Dupont Circle. There is some, but not much, nightlife in the immediate area. The lounge at the Helix hotel is actually quite popular and a destination in itself. One popular restaurant in the immediate area is Logan Tavern http://www.logantavern.com/ Other options can be found on 17th St. between P st. and S St. The Dupont Circle area is about a 10 minute walk and has tons of nightlife, restaurants, movies, shopping and more.

Here's more on Metro:
http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Bardo. It does seem like a fun hotel. I don't have a problem with walking to Metro station. 5 or 6 blocks is definitely do-able.

I'm more concerned about the safety of the area. One of the guidebooks recommended staying south of Rhode Island Ave and west of 16th. I am a female traveling alone, although I'm from NYC and used to walking around in "mixed" neighborhoods. What is your opinion of the the hotel's location on RI Ave bet. 14 & 15th? Will it be safe to walk back from Metro station at night?
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:33 AM

How old is that guidebook? Those arbitrary boudries sounds like something from 20 years ago. Today it's full of million dollar condos. It is a safe area - certainly better than the East Village in NYC. Although it's true that most of what interest you will be west (dupont) or south (mall, etc.). If it's really late, say after midnight, just take a taxi back (about $6). Since you've got two weeks, upon arrival, I strongly suggest you walk around the Logan circle area and up 14th St. in the daytime to orient yourself and get a better idea of what areas to avoid late at night. 14th St. north of your hotel is a theater district, for example. East of 14th (above Mass Ave.) is purely residential. Although U st. between 14th and 10th is a nightlife hotzone.
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:28 AM

I think common rules of safety apply. There are bad people everywhere you go. If you don't feel safe, then don't do something unsafe. You're always at risk when you're on an empty street. As long as you're around people, in public places, you shouldn't have much to fear. Just don't let anyone invade your personal space.

There really are no safe zones in this world. There are definitely neighborhoods you don't wanna be walking in late at night, but women have been raped in midtown manhattan too.

It's wise to be careful of the "mixed" neighborhoods too as you mentioned. I hear that DC has its share of white people too. It's like they're everywhere.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Bardo. Your info has been most helpful.
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:35 AM

just back from a five night stay, staff friendly, lounge inviting if for the young or at heart, room comfortable. Area just OK, Logan Tavern good ,had 2 dinners, quality good, atmos good, Tabard Inn good for breakfast, good but expensive for dinner. Helix itself has good breakfast say hello to Phallon in reception and Jim behind bar. we're over 55 and from the UK
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 11:44 AM

The Helix is an awesome hotel - it's very hip and the rooms are great. I think the area is totally safe, taking normal precautions as you would in any city. I have lived within a few blocks of there for years and always feel comfortable walking around. In addition to Logan Tavern, there is a great Spanish place called Mar de Plata on 14th St. just north of the hotel and a new Thai place called Rice on the same block (I think). On 15th and Rhode Island is 15 Ria, one of my favorite restaurants - in a hotel (Washington Park?) on the circle. Great shopping along 14th and U and surrounding streets, or you can walk a few blocks east to Dupont Circle. Nightlife - depends what you're into. the Black Cat at 14th and S is a sort of alternative, indie club with great live music and a side bar where you can go anytime with no cover. Also, Cafe Saint-Ex on the corner of 14th and T is a great restaurant and bar, with DJ's in the basement bar every night. Also a good brunch there. And Dupont Circle (17th Street, Connecticut Ave and P Street are the main drags) has tons of bars and restaurants. Let me know if you have any more questions about the area.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 12:33 PM

You made me curious so I looked up the hotel on orbitz and it looks really cool--you can check it out there for pictures. They just changed their site to make it really easy to find everything.