Have I forgot anything?

My family and I are going to Ohau (Waikiki) in three weeks? I have:

1. airline tickets
2. money (atm, credit card)
3. booked our tours
4. purchased travel insurance
5. booked our hotel
6. no rental car (we're walking)

Is there anything I have forgotten? We'll pack a couple days prior. Thanks!!!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would bring both a driver's license and a passport with the intent of keeping one as a backup. In the event you lose one, you want to be able to get back on the plane with the other.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:27 AM

Map of the island esp. if you have not been there before.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:28 AM

A backup list of the numbers for all the credit cards etc. that you're carrying, along with the 800 phone numbers you'd need if you, um, lost your wallet.

Xerox of your ID and copy of your itinerary to put inside your suitcase in case it takes a slightly different trip than you do.

Maps, tour guides, itineraries, notes about places to go and things to do.

Good shoes for climbing up Diamond Head (sturdy sneakers will do). Otherwise, just flip-flops.

Extra bathing suits, you can never have too many in Hawaii. Or plan on buying them there.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:29 AM
caribtraveler

you should always make 2 copies of your passport - put a copy in a different bag than the one where you'll carry your passport, and leave the second copy at home.
got your sunblock and your hat?
have a great time!

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:31 AM

Personally, I wouldn't bring the passport to Hawaii at all.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:34 AM

I don't think you need a passport. I assume you are a US citizen. You could make a copy of your DL however. What about sun tan lotion, aloe vera, a guidebook, something to do or read on the plane, plenty of film. Good planning will prevent you from getting "all shook up" Thank you, thank you very much
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:35 AM
caribtraveler

personally, in this day and age, i don't believe in leaving the "mainland" without a passport.

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:35 AM

An Atlas. Apparently, Hawaii now requires a passport. Unless required to do so, why would someome suggest you run the risk of losing your passport when you don't need it.

Make sure you bring a really good sunblock and some kind of aloe gel. Getting a sunburn is almost an inevitablity in Hawaii, even if you are careful.

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:39 AM

i'm not sure about passports, but i'm pretty sure it's illegal to photocopy a driver's license unless you do it at a percentage other than 100%. In either case, I'm not sure a photocopy of either the license or the passport will get you on a plane given how much easier it would be to forge either. I think the photocopy of a passport will only help you at a US Embassy in an effort to get a temporary passport, which probably isn't the case if you're actually in the US.

The alternative is to obtain a replacement license, but that too is illegal to possess multiple licenses, even if they are the same.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:41 AM

incidentally, the point of my suggestion is that one form of identification remains at the hotel at all times in the event the primary one gets lost.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:48 AM
dcespedes

"is there anything I have forgotten?" -- Yes, me!

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:49 AM

Never heard of requiring a passport to travel to Hawaii from the mainland. If poeple know otherwise, please post relevant link from the government department that incidates that.
bonniebroad

If anyone wears glasses, and is "blind" without them, it's good to carry a "cheapie" second pair just in case the regular pair is demolished somehow. Most people only carry a copy of their prescription, if that, but certain prescriptions can take several days to fill (like mine), and I sure wouldn't want to "lose" a couple of days of my vacation because I couldn't see!

and hopefully your cares
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:54 AM

Let me clarify my post, Hawaii DOES NOT, require a passport. "My apparently" remark was meant as sarcasm for those who suggested bringing one when it clearly isn't needed for a US citizen.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:55 AM

Atilla that is the best suggestion of all
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 11:10 AM
caribtraveler

Ryan..you should refrain from sarcastic replies unless you know for a fact the original poster is a u.s. citizen ...because Hawaii DOES require a passport...for those who are not U.S. citizens.
Nobody, by the way, suggested it was required...except you, in your sarcasm.

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 11:14 AM

I'm going to the grocery store. In this day and age does that mean I should bring a passport?
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 11:17 AM

yes, if you leave your house keys at the grocery store and the passport allows you to get back into your home. why not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -