Search

Hotel Deals in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Deals in NYC

I've always known that January is a cheap month in NYC, but when I got a Travelzoo notice of rates at four star hotels for under $100, I really perked up. After many choices, I just booked the four star Park Central (yes, I know it's not WONDERFUL) for $88 this Sunday night. Incidentally, I found better rates direct with all the hotels I checked than the ones quoted by Travelzoo -- probably because I added discounts for AAA or Senior.

With more show discounts available and generally good seat availability for most shows, January isn't such a bad time to visit. Just bundle up and use the subways!
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 07:17 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Have a great visit; those are amazing prices!
For anyone who is interested in a Jan/Feb trip to NYC,I received an email advertisement for the Millenium UN Plaza for $129. per night through February.When this property opened it was a Park Hyatt.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 07:27 AM

Wow. Good to know. Thanks for posting, NeoPatrick! Maybe I should plan a trip for Valentine's Day.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

I haven't checked, but I'd move fast as I suspect most of the best deals will be used up or not offered for Valentine's Weekend (although with it coming on a Tuesday this year, that could be a little easier)

We're simply going on Sunday because my partner has to work in Hoboken on Monday -- a two hour plus drive from our house. Instead he'll leave his car at his office on Sunday and we'll take the Path train in for the day and night, and he can take the Path to work in 20 minutes on Monday morning instead of setting out at 6 AM from home! And I'll have the benefit of the extra day in the city on Monday. We're seeing SILENCE, the musical spoof of Silence of the Lambs on Sunday early evening. Just a fun weekend.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 08:13 AM

Well - Valentine's Day is probably the one time those rates won't hold - be sure to check before making plans. There was just a feature on the news this AM abou thow busy Velentine's is in NY - and how many millions of dollars it brings to the city. New Yorkers polled said they plan on spending an average of $147 for dinner on Valentine's day plus anotther $80 some dollars on the gift.

(We are NOT going out - since the restaurants are usually packed and you do not get the best food or service - but are having a special dinner on the 11th - and champagne and gifts at home on the 14th.)
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 09:09 AM

By the way, many hotels in NYC offer exceptionally good rates for Sunday nights only, even in high season. Weekend travelers have gone home, and business travelers often don't arrive till Monday or later.

Also, generally, weekend rates here are much cheaper than weekdays, with the exception of major events like the NYC marathon. Some people who are used to the opposite pattern for resort and leisure locations don't realize how many business travelers are here almost everyday, and what ridiculous prices they (and their companies) are willing to pay for just a "regular" Wednesday night.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM

Check quikbook.com for amazing discounts on hotels, and not just for their Secret Sale Hotels, for the month of February.

I wish someone here could 'reveal' the identity of the Secret Sale hotels; although at those prices...who cares??!
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM

You don't even need to bundle up. We are having our warmest winter in memory. It's 57 today, and expected to stay warm all weekend.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

panecott, look at the forecast. Yes, we hit 59 in Lambertville yesterday, but this morning it's pretty cold. It's supposed to go below freezing tonight and Monday's high in NYC is 38. That still may be unseasonably warm for here, but for a guy who has spent the last 40 winters in Florida, it still requires bundling up!
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 08:15 AM

And the city's always windy. But today is glorious and tomorrow is to be the same! Monday is predicted to be the only day below 45 all next week. Spring is coming! (soon)