Reload this Page >

NYC itinerary - comments? Plus question on Philly

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

I am going to NYC at the end of November for 5 days. I have an itinerary, and I would love for people to comment on it and/or make other recommendations. It follows:

Wed - arrive morning Newark, go to hotel Times Square... afternoon free (no plans yet) see Spamalot in the evening
Thurs - Macy's Day parade; Grand Central Station/Empire State Building
Fri - Metropolitan Museum Modern Art/Central Park/American Museum of Natural History
Sat - Chinatown/United Nations/ World Trade Memorial/Greenwich Villiage and area/Staten Island Ferry to Statue of Liberty
Sun - Not sure!!
Mon - leave for airport to fly back

This will be intermixed with restaurants, jazz or comedy clubs and shopping. Please add/make suggestions to the itinerary. I really want to get the most out of our trip.

Also I was also thinking about taking one day and getting the train to Philadelphia. There is an exhibit there, called Body Worlds, at the Franklin Institute Science Musuem that I would love to see. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth taking a day out of my 5 day itinerary of NYC to view it? This is just tentative. I have never been to NYC before so, it is all new to me.

Advice welcomed.
Thanks
KD
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 06:14 AM

Hi KD,
I would not go to Philly as you will have plenty to do in NYC. You could cut out the UN on Saturday as it is nowhere near the other places you're going. Saturday is full as it is.
Liz
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 06:16 AM

The 3 things you have listed for Friday could each take a full day in themselves, so be repared to either be overwhelmed, or to just ksim each one.

On the other hand, on Thursday the parade will be over at noon and your other two items aren't going to fill up the afternoon. Do check on schedules and what's open on the holiday. If one of the Friday museums is open on Thursday, I'd switch and go then, the crowds will probably be horrible on Friday and nothing on Thursday.

Saturday is also very full, but at least everything is downtown, except the UN, which is up in midtown. So consider starting there, although you will also get advice to try to get the first ferry. It goes past the Statue of Liberty, but doesn't stop there.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 06:38 AM

I would switch one of the museums to Sunday morning.
I think you've got too much scheduled for Saturday. The most logical one to leave out is the UN, since, as a previous poster noted, it's far away from your other destinations. Or, you can keep it in and switch one or two of the other Saturday destinations to Sunday afternoon, after my suggested museum visit.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:20 AM
GoTravel

Agree with the other posters, only do one museum per day.

Skip Philly, enough to do in NYC.

Might I suggest you order a car service from Newark to your hotel? The taxi line will be horrific that day and the ride into Midtown is so much nicer in the back of a Lincoln Town Car.

The cost is the same. $45 not including tolls and tip.

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:40 AM

I agree with the other comments. As far as "Staten Island Ferry to Statue of Liberty", the ferry doesn't stop at the statue, it just goes by it. If you want to actually go to the statue, you have to take the ferry from battery park that stops there and ellis island.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:09 AM

If you're interested in Chuches at all, St Patricks is worth a stop, maybe on Friday if you skip one of the museums.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:54 AM
valeriesgallery

First of all, breath. The 1st time I went I was 19, I was overwhelmed by the #'s: cars, people, buildings, etc.
I would suggest leaving your 1st day to get to the hotel, to relax, to check it out a little. Maybe have a beer or coke. Get to know the concierge. he or she will be very helpful in making your plans. Use the first day to get your plan or idea of a plan. I was just there this weekend. I walked my arse off. Bring good walking shoes. Subway is great, but once you start walking, you just keep walking. There is so much to see. Be sure to eat good-solid meals and snack along the way. Otherwise, you'll poop out. Save Philly for a different trip. I went last year, and the historical district alone requires a weekend. Have fun. Bring layers of clothes. I am jealous and can't wait to go back. (to both cities)

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM

I'm from Philly and I would say skip the day in Philly. The trains will be packed all week long, and the Franklin Institue will probably be packed wiht people on vacation. While I've heard the exhibit is good, I just don't think its worth the hassle of a day trip. Stay in NYC and enjoy!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:13 PM

I am also from Philadelphia and have to agree that less than a day is not long enough. The train (Amtrak) rides alone would take 3 hours out of your day.

That said, I have been to Body Worlds and it is really amazing. I would highly recommend checking it out on another trip along with many of the historic sites and great restaurants. The exhibit runs into next year so you have some time to plan it out.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:50 PM

I just overheard a conversation about BodyWorlds today - sounds like something to check out! But I'm jumping on the bandwagon and also recommending you stay in NYC. The weekend will be crowded, which may slow down some of your sightseeing.