Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

hop on hop off daytime or DC night tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2010, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or Both? We are going to New York and then by train to DC on the 7th of Sept arriving around noon, allowing for lateness. We leave again the following day at 5PM for a 7PM train. Short time there, staying at L'Enfant hotel so close to what we want to see. Wont have time for the Smithsonian obviously.
Here is the catch. My husband broke his ankle and is in a wheelchair as he can not put any weight on his foot. The daytime Hop On Hop Off, (we wont be doing much hopping) also includes a twilight tour, but the daytime bus is wheelchair friendly and the twilight tour is not. This is a 90 minute tour which sounds perfect

There is a three hour night tour that can be wheelchair friendly. I have heard that you want to see DC at night.

Would you suggest that we do the 24 hour hop on hop off bus to span the two days and also the night tour, or just do the night tour and spend the two days walking (me) and taking cabs instead. I dont really want to spend the ENTIRE two days on a bus, but want to see as much as we can, this will be just a taste

Thanks very much.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 06:33 PM

Friend of mine had a broken leg last year and we opted for the 3 hr night tour. It worked out perfect. Id make sure that you can get the wheelchair on the bus first, but its easier. Can he walk at all to go up the steps then maybe someone fold up the wheelchair or is he confined to the chair?
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

THe only way he can go up steps is to bum it up backwards, which he probably wont do in public.
Apparently you can request a wch friendly bus 72 hours ahead so he can wheel on and then we will fold up the chair once inside.

would you also do the day tour, or is it the same thing?
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:07 AM

We did both tours and it was great. We found it the best solution(and safest)walking around in the dark with an expensive camera around your neck might invite some problems.Paul
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:46 AM

Walking around the monuments at night is very safe, even with an expensive camera around your neck. I take my visitors there all the time at night to walk the monuments. There are loads of other visitors there doing the same thing without incident. I would make that recommendation now to you,, live42day, even though your husband is in a wheelchair. We took my MIL (in her wheelchair) on an evening tour of monuments last year and she loved it. The Lincoln Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial both have elevators and ramps so that you can get right up to the statues themselves. The Vietnam, Korean, WWII and FDR memorials are at ground level or have ramps, so there's no problem with wheelchairs there.
I'd take a taxi to the WWII memorial and start from there. You can find taxis wherever you decide to end your tour to take you back to your hotel.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. I will post a report when I get back to let you know how it went!
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 08:46 AM

We picked the ones we wanted to spend the most time at and went to those during the day then did the formal tour at night. WW2 wasour favorite and we spent the most time there. I agree with the suggestion of taxis where possible. Enjoy DC. I was supposed to be there this week but we cancelled our trip unfortunately.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM

To get the full effect of the monument, see the Korean War Memorial at night. The night we saw the memorial it was raining a bit. Very earry feeling. I am sure that is how our soldiers felt.

I traveled to DC by myself and walked to see the Monuments, Reflection Pond etc at night and never felt uncomfortable. Just as any city, be aware of your surroundings and do not leave your belongings unattended. I think it is called "common sense."