DC Trolley or Tourmobile?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will spend Labor Day Weekend in DC. Would you suggest the Trolley, Tourmobile, or some other tour? We will not have a car. All suggestions are appreciated.
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:17 AM

I took the OnBoard Monument Night Tour last year and it was great. The Trolley and Tourmobile both offer these as well. THis way, you stay with a guide and the bus. I don't like the hop on, hop off as you end up waiting in too many lines. I felt seeing the monuments at night was a much better way to see them too (except for the WW2 as its lights were out...)We will be in DC the week before you and are probably going to do another tour. Another benefit of the night tour is that its cooler at night.
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Whether you have a car is irrelevant to the question. If you did have a car, it would not be a good idea to use it while to get around DC anyway
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're looking for a tour to hop on and off of then I'd say the two you mentioned are equal except that tourmobile goes into Arlington Cemetery. Neither are air conditioned but I think that the Grayline tours are A/C'd. I agree with tchoiniere that the nighttime tours give a pretty and unique way to view the monuments.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:26 AM

Tourmobile only covers the govt/monument area. Other companies, using smaller vehicles, go farther afield -- up Embassy Row, National Cathedral, etc. If you want to get an overview of the city in a half day, the open top bus (staying on for the entire route, not using the HoHo option) might be of interest. For a concentration on the monuments, the nighttime tours are worthwhile, because that doesn't take time away from your museum-going.
Use the separate Tourmobile inside Arlington National Cemetery if you go there, because some of the most moving sites are uphill quite a distance from the entrance.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Just returned from DC and we did a 2-day hop-on, hop-off tour with Tourmobile. I really recommend them. They are the only company licensed by the National Park Service. Over the course of the two days, we had four or five different guides and all of them were knowledgeable and entertaining.