Honeymoon/Washington

Apr 20th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Honeymoon/Washington

Hello, I am trying to help a young couple plan a honeymoon, Dec. 16-Dec. 23. I have looked at Leavenworth, Wa, specifically Run of the River. It seems picturesque from the website. They are really hoping for snow, cabin or B&B type place. Is snow likely there that time of year? Also, they really want the Christmas atmosphere, Christmas type programs, a sleigh ride and nice dinners. If you have other suggestions that would meet this criteria, please share and thanks!!!
Apr 20th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Some people love Leavenworth and its Bavarian theme. Personally, it doesn't appeal to me. First of all, the town will be VERY crowded around the holidays. The town does a lot to bring tourist in near the holidays. The town, from what I understand, does not really have any bavarian heritage. Rather, they wanted to promote tourism in the 60's and chose a theme.

That said, you will get the Christmas atmosphere (lights, carolers etc.) but you can get that in other locations. Also, I'm not sure I've every had a nice dinner in Leavenworth. To me, it's a cheap knock-off attempt at getting the village atmosphere.

Might I suggest looking into Whistler up in BC. It's more of a lodge type feel, less contrived and more holiday-ee. My family goes up there about every other year for thet holidays. Look into the Chateau Whistler, very picturesque. I love to sit down in front of one of their huge stone fireplaces and cuddle up with my husband and a hot tottie.

Whistler Village also has a ton of things to do. Wonderful restaurants, a few night clubs/bars. Activity-wise, you can ski/snowboard, rent snow mobiles (my favorite), etc.

All in all, I feel Whistler has a much higher end feel in how it evokes the holiday spirit.
Apr 20th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much loves adventure. I was actually a bit afraid what you said might be true. Is is absolutely frigid cold in Whistler then? We are from the deep south. Is it not crowded? Can they do a sleigh ride - high priority for them? Thanks again for your help!
Apr 20th, 2006, 09:28 PM

I don't think Whistler will be any colder than Leavenworth. Obviously you'll need freezing weather for snow, but if it's snowing, that also means it isn't too cold (I believe snow does not form/fall below a certain temperature). Definitely bundle up, but it probably won't be below the 20's. Nothing compared to the midwest during the winter, if you've been there. But yes, definitely colder than the New Year's I spent in New Orleans.

I did a quick search for Sleigh Rides in Whistler and came up with: Blackcomb Horsedrawn Sleigh Rides, 103-4338 Main St., Whistler, BC V0N 1B4 (tel. 604/932-7631). I have never used this service, but yes they are available. Looks as if nightly. Maybe I'll have to check it out next time we are up there.

Whistler Village does get busy, but it's set to accommodate the crowds. They do it every year! Leavenworth on the other hand houses a lot of day visitors, and the restaurants/shops just can't handle the load. We've waited at a not-so-great diner for 40 minutes to get a table.

Whistler has excellent restaurants. Araxi, Hy's Steakhouse, Il Caminetto and Rim Rock Cafe are amongst our favorites. Near the holidays definitel make reservations. I usually call around/before Thanksgiving to make all of our ressies, but we travel with a group of 6.

Oh and spas are wonderful. My favorite (right now) is at the newer Westin hotel.
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, very helpful info!
Apr 21st, 2006, 08:47 AM

Whistler will also have skiing, and I would think a better chance of snow on the ground (you should google to find traditional openings of ski season there).

I also am not a huge fan of the town of Leavenworth, but I will point out that many people LOVE it. People either find it too cutesy and contrived, or they are thoroughly charmed. The couple could probably get an idea of how they would feel just by looking at websites, pictures, etc. I've stayed at Run of the River and it is very nice. Whistler really does offer so much more, though.
Apr 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Christy1, Thanks, but could you tell me how it offers more. I am having a difficult time finding things that are specifically Christmas related. They would love to attend a performance of the Nutcracker or Handel's Messiah or A Christmas Carol, something of that nature. Whistler I know offers snow, nice lodging and restaurants. I have heard the restaurants in Leavenworth are not good. Thanks if you have any more advice.
Apr 21st, 2006, 12:55 PM

I'm not sure you'll find the Nutcracker in either Whistler or Leavenworth, but am sure that if you're willing to drive 1 to 2 hours, you could find it in Vancouver or Seattle. I've been to the Pacific Northwest Ballet version a number of times (in Seattle). I'll go again, when I have kids.

Maybe you want to split your time between city and snow village, if you want the formal programs. Neither town is really far from its closest metropolitan city. You'd probably fly in there anyway.

See http://www.travellady.com/Issues/Iss...L-whislter.htm and http://www.tourismwhistler.com/www/e...ndar.asp?sm=12 for some Whistler holiday activities. In Leavenworth, I've found myself in town for a highschool caroling exposition. Different school choirs singing in the "square" all day.

From what I gather you are looking for, I might suggest flying into Vancouver, spending 3 nights there, seeing the holiday shows you want to, dining at some of the local restaurants, finishing up your Xmas shopping and then heading up to Whistler for another 3 nights. You can do your sleigh ride and enjoy the holiday ambiance you seek. Return to Vancouver for one more night and fly out.

A similar itinerary could work for Seattle and Leavenworth.
Apr 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM

I agree with the comments above. I don't think you're going to find theatre/dance out on a mountaintop (I could be wrong but I haven't heard of it). It would take a city/country combo itinerary to find both (I think). The PNB Nutcracker production is supposed to be superb.
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:23 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to say Whistler offers more Christmas stuff. Neither town will have the cultural perfomances you're looking for (I can't imagine any small/resort town would)-the above posters have good ideas when they suggest splitting the visit between city and mountains. I meant it offers more in terms of dining, lodging, nightlife, skiing, and scenery.
Apr 21st, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the help. You guys really put me onto to it. They can have it all if they split their time between the two places!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO