Reload this Page >

breckenridge or whistler in january?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:20 PM
katie

Hi. My boyfriend and I are planning a 5 day ski-trip in mid-January are are considering both Breckenridge and Whistler. We are most interested in a variety of skill levels for the trails and apres ski. Any advice??

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Duane

Katie,

I've been to Whistler in late January. While I loved the mountain, it may have been a little early (this was about 8 years ago). It rained everyday at our condo and at the base but snowed as you moved up the mountain. Not sure if this is typical or if we had bad luck. The snow was very heavy if you ventured off the groomed trails. The mountain, however, is great... two to choose from with every type of terrain. And the village is excellent.

I can't speak for Breckinridge. You may want to talk to a travel agent that specializes in ski vacations or find a skiing message board. Also if money is an issue, Whistler would probably be a better deal with a good exchange rate.

Hope this helps.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:45 PM
whistling

I've been to both, but never in January - too cold. However, I'll say Whistler/Blackcombe's terrain is amazing, so much vertical mileage, you'd never get to it all in 5 days. Whistler has wide variety of trails, Blackcombe's is more expert. Apres is lots of fun, more cosmopolitan than Breck, but tends to kick in earlier. However, it is a pain in neck to get to if only staying for 5 days.

Breck is fun, weather will be better, snow lighter, nice cruisers, easier to get to.

One thing I have problem with is altitude adjustment. I live on the coast, and have difficulty adjusting to the thin air in Breck, especially on short trips. This was not an issue in Whistler, since it's relatively low alt. Of course, my opinion is colored by that one big fact.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:21 PM
gb

There tends to be a dry, cold period during the first two weeks of January. Usually, by the end of January, it is still very cold, but more snow. By the end of January, apres ski should be good in Breckenridge. Early Jan-I don't know-depends if we get a good snowfall. Breckenridge has a variety of terrain for all levels. It has been kind of difficult transitioning from mountain to mountain, but they were supposed to work on that. Keystone is good too.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 02:51 PM
katie

Thanks a lot for all the responses. Any thoughts on good ski-in/ski-out accomodations in either breck or whistler?

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:31 AM
Skier

Whistler does not get the extreme cold that Banff gets in January because it is near the coast. I like Whistler alot. It has the ambience of a European resort, restaurants are top notch as is the entertainment. There is a reason Whistler keeps getting rated #1 in all the Ski Publications and you get more bang for your buck due to the exchange rate. The Delta Resort and I believe the Crystal Lodge are both close to the gondolas. Try whistler.com for more info.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 11:31 PM
anon

I've been to both Whistler and Breckenridge twice. Like them both, but if you've never been to Whistler, go there. Fantastic resort! If the weather cooperates, you will have a great ski vacation. Do the Ski Esprit program if you can.

Both resorts have great restaurants and nightlife. But the terrain at Whistler is hard to beat. Do a heli-skiing trip! Life is short!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Scott

Vail was just ranked #1 ski resort and Whistler was voted #3. I am told that Whistler has "wetter" snow since it is only an hour or two from the water.

I was in Whistler in August and thought it was wonderful (stayed at the Westin). Vail village is is probably a notch below Whistler village. I remember Vail being smaller. Either place would be great but it probably is easier to get to vail.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Scott

Breck was voted #10 I believe. I am told that it is more of a town than a ski village attmosphere. Again, some people rave about it so pick em.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Rhys

been to both a number of times. Short trip? Breck. Week or so Whistler.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 01:36 PM
skier

It's not that bad getting to Whistler. Definitely fly into Vancouver. As to choices, I would take Whistler over Breck any day. We were in Whistler and the conditions were great, no wet snow.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Tommy

Never been to Breckenridge but have been to Whistler and loved it. Flew into Seattle and drove 4.5 hours. Very scenic drive once you get north of Vancouver. The weather can be kind of unpredictable. Went in February and got lucky. Snow was a bit soft at the bottom half but from mid mountain to the alpine it was great. Terrain is fabulous! No altitude sickness either. Max elevation a bit over 7k. The base village is nice too, lots of bars, shops, restaurants.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 11:08 AM
paul

Breckenridge because of weather concerns . Trails and apres ski is a toss up . But weather is a big problem at Whistler - It fronts the Pacific and any fronts coming in are not buffered . I have been to Whistler when skiing was weather affected for a week on end .

If you have lousy weather in Breckenridge , amazingly enough if you an hour west to Vail or up to A Basin , the weather will be lots better.

If you are booked at Whistler for 5 days , and get lousy weather , then my friend you are stuck . And it's too far to Vancouver for a change of scenerary. Thats what happened to us last time in Whistler.

Whistler is cheaper , but in my opnion it's not worth the weather risk.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Belinda

Scott, I think it depends on which ratings you read. Conde Nast just ranked Whistler #1 and Vail #2.

I think that I would pick based on which resort has the best snow so far (or the best likelihood of snow). Also, Breck is very close to other resorts that share the lift ticket (Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone)