Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC in Oct - Want to do 3 cool things on a Saturday after a 4 hour drive to get there: Today Show Tour, Harlem Museum (but which one) and Bus Tour of NYC Rock N Roll stuff... too much for 1 day?

NYC in Oct - Want to do 3 cool things on a Saturday after a 4 hour drive to get there: Today Show Tour, Harlem Museum (but which one) and Bus Tour of NYC Rock N Roll stuff... too much for 1 day?

Apr 17th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Me, my 68 year old uncle and his 45 year old neighbor guy friend plan to go to NYC this fall for a Saturday in October. We want to do a tour they heard about where a psychedelic colored bus takes you around cool NYC sites where rock and roll happenings, happened (ie: This is where Jerry Garcia played once, this is where the Beatles played, this is where this musician lived and wrote music, etc).

I searched some of the NYC bus tour websites but can't find this specific one. Anyone have a link to it? We don't want a 5 1/2 hour tour, just a short one, maybe 1-2 hours, so we'll have time to do our other items on the list.

Don't know if this is too much stuff to do on a one day trip (I'd be travelling 4 hours to get to NYC leaving Maryland at 6am getting to NYC at 10am), but we also wanted to do the NBC studio tour, getting our tix in advance of course.

Lastly, I always wanted to go to Harlem and I thought the Studio Museum in Harlem would be neat... or is the Jazz Museum better?

Is this like, way too much stuff to do in a day? I think we're biting off more than we can chew now that I've researched it a bit more, but what do you think? If we limited it to 2 things, which would be best in your humble opinion of the 3 ideas I've mentioned? We've already done ALOT of other NYC tourist sites over the years, but not these.

We just went to NYC last weekend together, first meeting on the NJ Turnpike at the Woodrow Wilson rest stop to leave one of our cars there - them from York, PA. and me from Maryland. It was just the 3 of us, to see the NYC Auto Show for 4 hours from 10-2, then lunch at the Stage Deli (ahhh, matsoh ball soup, corned beef and pastrami, but no bread as it's still Passover!), and then the MOMA to see the Edvard Munch exhibit. We were so enamoured of NYC that we decided to go back in the fall instead of them coming down from York, PA. to see me and do the local sites. We usually do museums in DC together each fall, but NYC is so amazing, albeit much more expensive! We would be driving home at the end of the day, like we did last weekend, and we were all home by 1230am.

Thanks in advance,

Steve R
Silver Spring MD
Apr 18th, 2006, 03:02 AM

Found a rock and roll walking tour here

http://www.inetours.com/New_York/Tours/NYC_Tours.html

for $25/person for 2 hrs.

There are some other rock walking tours here
http://www.rockandrolltours.com/walkingtours.htm

You can do the NBC tour but I assume you realize by 10 am, the Today show (in your title) is finished.

I can't help on the Harlem part but there's a guy who does jazz tours. Look on bigapplejazz.com

I didn't know about the jazz museum, but reading, it sounds like it's more a place for performance than a typical museum. I'd make sure there's a show you want to see on the day you plan to come.

http://www.jazzmuseuminharlem.org/

You should check the times of any performances. YOu might have to stay into the evening.
Apr 18th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

mclaurie: Thanks for the information! I guess there isn't any bus tour of the rock and roll stuff? I guess a walking tour is the next best thing! I did find that walking tour in my search too but heard that there was this psychedelic bus tour

Yeah, we realize we'll miss the today show but we did want to see the studio tour.

As far as Harlem, I guess the Studio Museum in Harlem would be the best bet then as it's art related and open in the day.

Anyone else? Thoughts about this being too much or just right?

Cheers,
Steve R

Apr 20th, 2006, 05:55 AM

ttt
Apr 20th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Steve, Shame on you..you STILL have not made it to Katz's! You will have to return yet again after your fall trip! Well, we have lots of time here to think of a great plan for your next visit...I am glad you are having such fun here! Keep asking questions!
Apr 20th, 2006, 07:47 AM

You may find it difficult to do everything on your list since you will be traveling around the city quite a bit. If you are doing the NBC tour, you are very close to the subway at 50th and 6th and you can take the D express train there to 125th St which is the heart of Harlem. If you take the car up it will take much longer than taking the subway. IF you are going to be here in the evening you might pop into St. Nick's Jazz Club on St. Nicholas and 149th St. It's a very well known Jazz spot in the city.

Have a great time while you are here.
Apr 20th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys and gals. No, we didn't make it to Katz's Deli as my traveling companions really wanted to do something easy by Times Square so The Stage is where they picked. I was robbed of my Katz's experience but I will keep trying! I'll tell ya - the Stage corned beef and pastrami was most excellent and truly, better than a steak at Ruth Chris in my book. Well, at $18 a sandwich, it should have been really good! Our waittress was pathetic but she made us laugh. She was grossly overweight and took forever to walk from here to there. She was really slow but she DID get us our food. We'd ask her for something and she'd just stare off into space and sigh. Man, in Wash DC if a waiter was like her, she'd be gone in a week.
In NYC, I guess eccentric is the norm

Now my traveling mates want to go to a
"Photographic Museum" in NYC but I googled it and nothing came up. All the sudden they only want to do two things... The Art Museum in Harlem and walking around Harlem a bit as none of us have ever been there, and one other cool museum. The Brooklyn Art Museum looks interesting but it may be kind of far from Harlem...

Is there a great museum of Photography in NYC? The only thing that comes up on google is the Metropolitan Museum of Art and The MOMA.

Steve R
Apr 21st, 2006, 03:47 AM

Museum at the International Center of Photography.
http://www.icp.org/site/c.dnJGKJNsFq...880/Museum.htm

But Metropolitan Museum also has photography and is closer to Harlem. You should check what if any special Photog. exhibits might be on in Oct. on their website
metmuseum.org
Apr 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

mclaurie: Thanks for the info! What a great resource you are. I'll check into both those museums and see which one would work better for us, though I think the Met offers more (obviously) in bang for the buck in terms of all the ancilliary art that's there in addition to the photo exhibitions.

Steve R