Honeymoon in Hawaii - where?

Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon in Hawaii - where?

We are thinking about HI for our honeymoon. Neither of us has ever been, so we have absolutely no idea where to go (which island or hotel). We would like a quieter spot where we're not in a big crowd. Great beach for relaxing, would like to do snorkeling, also hiking, see the lava flows. Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated. Thanks!
Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:40 AM

If you're referring to seeing lava actively flowing, the best chance is on the Big Island where the only active volcanoes are found, otherwise would be helpful to now how much you want spend $), Kauai and Maui probably good candidates as well as BI.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:46 AM

All your ansewrs are already on this board. Do search under Hawaii, go to the bookstore, library, get books and read, get some initial ideas what you would like to do. Then ask questins here.
You need to tell us for how long, what is your budget, what time of the year. Would you rather stay in one place or a couple islands.
What is <a quieter spot> in your opinion? Would you want to stay on Lanai or this island would be too quiet for you? Maui is the most crowded
For great beach for relaxing, to do snorkeling, also hiking, see the lava flows, in my opinoin, Island of Hawaii would fit your interests. Do some searching under Big Island.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:46 AM

Manele Bay Resort on Lanai, Hyatt Poipu Beach On Kauai,Hilton Waikaloa Resort on the island of Hawaii, The Grand Wailea Resort on Maui and either the Halekaulani Hotel, Ko Olina Marriott Resort (The Grand Waimea Resort in the new TV show North Shore), Kahala Mandarin Hotel all on Oahu. You can't go wrong with any of these. Aloha!
Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JohnD and hawaiiantraveler - this is very helpful. We don't really have a budget - my grandparents are making a gift of our honeymoon and they said we may choose whatever we like.

Incognito - why relpy like that?! If you don't like my question, then don't post a reply. I posted because I was trying to get an initial idea of what real travelers like to do - not what a book says about some hotel. Isn't that what the fodor's forums are for - to find out what others think about travel destinations, etc.? I have read the other posts, and I still didn't feel like I found the answers I was looking for. I tend to think that fodorites have some pretty valuable insights about what things are really like, and they're not afraid to share the good and the bad. As I said, I have never been to HI, so I am open to suggestion as far as how long, how many islands, etc. However, thank you for your suggestion about the Big Island. That is the kind of basic recommendation I was looking for.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:20 PM

If you are looking for quieter spots with hiking, snorkeling, and lava flows, I would suggest the Big Island (for the volcano) and Kauai. Hawaii for Dummies travel book helped me decide!

I haven't been but we are going in 2 weeks for our honeymoon, and are going to Oahu, Big Island, and Maui. Iwill make sure to post a trip report when I return.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks beachgirl! Congrats and have a great time - I will look forward to hearing about it!
Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:46 PM

We honeymooned on Kauai in 2002 in Princeville, at Hanalei Bay Resort to save$) which is next to the Princeville Hotel-that alot of folks recommend for honeymooners. Hyatt Kauai(previously mentioned) also a favorite.

That being said there are alot more things to do on Maui, and with the "Road to Hana" trip, it fulfilled my expectations more as to what I "expected" Hawaii to be like. A few great hotels are in the Wailea area, we like the Grand Wailea Hotel for it's pools, though other hotels nearby (4S, Fairmont Kea Lani, etc) look inviting as well.

The Big Island with an active volcano was a unique experience and snorkeling was the best we have seen, but we found we had to drive more distance to do things, though I have heard some say that some BI resorts may offer enough that they don't feel the need to leave (but we couldn't afford those, yet).

Feel free to ask more questions!
Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:10 PM

Kauai.
Check out my recent trip report for info on beaches, etc. Here is the link.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34513767
Have fun learning about paradise!
-Bill
Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:22 PM
gyppielou

Beckers
In defense of Incognito...I think you were actually given true advice. Often we get uneducated posters asking broad questions without a focus. He/she brought some good points to consider. I don't think they were attacking, but trying to help you inquire in a more focused way...Mahalo,and I will try to offer any advice I can, but please do search, as many have offered much wisdom on the islands....

Jul 25th, 2004, 08:54 AM

My husband and I got married at the Kona Village Resort on the big Island. we stayed there for 5 nights and it is the most Romantic Place I have ever been to. It includes all meals, you stay in a Hale (large hut) rather than a big hotel, snorkeling is great, there is a spa. The food is good. It is like being in paradise.
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:28 AM

If you are looking for quiet, I would have to disagree w/Hilton Waikaloa Resort. Large family oriented resort. Stayed there 2 nights in 2000 and it was my least favorite, b/c it is so large almost Disneyland-ish. We had to take the water taxi or tram to our room. They charged for in room coffee and use of the safe. Although the resort is gorgeous, we loved all our other hotels much better. Our trip went like this:
Kahala Mandarin Hotel-Oahu-1 night
Kea Lani-Maui-6 nights (AWESOME!)
Hilton Waikaloa-Big Island- 2 nights
Hyatt Poipu Beach-Kauai-4 nights (SPECTACULAR!)great spa

Two books that helped us plan activites, and could help you plan your itinerary
Maui Revealed, The Ultimate Guidebook
The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed (Ultimate Kauai Guidebook)
by Andrew Doughty, Harriett Friedman

Happy planning!

Jul 26th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Hi beckers2482,
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I just got back from my wedding/honeymoon in Hawaii and you are considering a great spot for some wonderful memories.
We stayed for 9 days in Maui and 7 in Kauai. I have not been to the Big Island, but would like to go someday and have heard nice things. If you are for sure wanting to see the "lava flows" then you need to go to the Big Island.

I went through the same issue that you are going through when we decided on Hawaii..what island do I choose? It helped when my (then) fiancee and I sat down and discussed all our priorities. DId we want to be really active and stay away from the hotel or did we want to lay around and be treated like royalty? We ended up doing both
One thing to keep in mind...I would stay somewhere special(hotel) that you typically would never stay at..somewhere where you will be treated like honeymooners. SOme hotels do it better than others.
My suggestion is to do a split: either Maui and Kauai like I did or the Big Island and Kauai. Maui will not be as remote and quiet as Kauai, but for me it was a very nice mix. I actually got married in Maui (at the Four Seasons Wailea), so I was grateful for the modern conveniences that Maui offers because a lot of things came up during the wedding.
I am typically not a hotel person, when I travel I like to run around and do as much as possible outside of the hotel. However, for our honeymoon, it was such a treat to stay at the Four Seasons Wailea in Maui. Wailea is much more quiet than the west side and the Four Seasons was such a romantic place to be. There are beautiful restaurants on the property and I suggest treating yourself to a beachside couples massage! Maui is quite crowded and may not be what you are looking for, but I highly recommend the Four Seasons Wailea if you want to do something special for yourself.
If you decide on the Big Island, I heard the Four Seasons there is even nicer.
In Kauai, we stayed at the Princeville which was nice, but definetely a major step down from the Four Seasons Wailea. We loved the North Shore of Kauai because it was so lush and green and not as touristy as the South Shore (Poipu Beach, etc). However, be advised that if you choose Kauai, you will experience some rain. But with that you get some of the most green lush tropical settings that I have ever seen.
Good luck in your decision! I think whatever you decide you will love Hawaii! If you end up staying at the Four Seasons Wailea, eat dinner or have drinks one night at Ferraros. I actually did not eat there, but the violin and acoustic guitar players (Don Lax and Vance Koenig) who performed at my wedding typically play there in the evenings. It is so romantic to have a drink during sunset and listen to them play. Order some champagne and ask them to play Ave Maria or they may even be able to play a song that is special for the both of you! They are great.Nicks Fishmarket is also a very romantic restaurant in Maui.

AND one more thing...where ever you book, be sure to tell them you are honeymooning when you reserve the room and ALSO when you check in. Depending on where you stay, some hotels will either upgrade your rooms, give you a bottle of champagne or at the very least send you a card and chocolates (the Four Seasons did all of this for us by the way...the Princeville gave us a bottle of champagne since they were completely booked and could not upgrade us).
Bye and congratulations once again!
Becca