Honeymoon in Hawaii? Can you all help me?

Apr 12th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Honeymoon in Hawaii? Can you all help me?

Hi all- We are looking to honeymoon in Hawaii but we know nothing about it...I am trying to research the islands and their differences now but if you all can help me out it would be MUCH appreciated! We are going for 2 weeks in November (to leave on Nov 15th) and are basically looking to relax and lay on a beach with a few activities thrown in- water sports, renting a car, some local shopping, check out some volcanoes- but the focus is to relax...can you all advise of which islands you think would be best for what we need? Thanks so much in advance...
Apr 12th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Well, if you want to see active volcanoes, you'll need to go to the Big Island. ;-)

American Airlines currently has a really good fare sale going on to Hawaii. You might go ahead and buy your airfare to get the low price!
Apr 12th, 2004, 03:55 PM

With two weeks at your disposal, you could visit one island or two. The Big Island would be a good choice if you'd like to stay put for the two weeks. This would afford plenty of time to lounge around one of the nice resorts like Mauna Lani on the Kona coast AND make some trips to look at the volcanoes, Place of Refuge, hiking, etc. I love Maui as well - wonderful resorts and restaurants, beaches, Haleakala crater, Iao Valley, Lahaina, and more. On Maui there's less travel time between the areas I want to see and my resort where I want to relax (than on BI). Think about doing either a Big Island/Maui trip or a Maui/Kauai (lush, quiet, not too big) combo. Resorts good for honeymoon type upper-scale chilling out on these islands include Four Seasons and Hyatt Kauai, though there are many wonderful, less-expensive choices. Decide what things you must see or do by studying guidebooks and searching this site - and then alternate active days with relaxations days.
Apr 12th, 2004, 05:33 PM

What kind of hotels are you looking for? Price range? Where are you flying from? 2 weeks isn plenty of time to enjoy 2 islands. Even 3 if you are very active travelers, but it sounds as if you're more the unpack and stay put type.

Just to give you a basic overview:
Kauai: most lush of the islands (has the wettest place on earth), interesting hiking/helicopter tours, very quiet, very little shopping or commercial activity outside the resorts.

Big Island: not lush, barren and almost 'moonish' looking but in an interesting way, active volcano, Volcanoes National Park is very worthwhile, a few luxury resorts but beaches at those are not as good as on some of the other islands, not much commercial activity.

Oahu: everyone knows Waikiki and Diamond Head, Honolulu and touristy are synonymous, but Oahu has some beautiful unspoiled untouristy areas also with some great beaches aside from Waikiki, also has the great WWII memorial, most commercial options of any island.

Maui: probably the best overall balance of natural beauty, great resorts, restaurants, shopping, good beaches, and easy driveability. Oahu has more of the manmade amenities but Maui offers much of the same with less of a crowded city feel. Some people think Maui has come too far in the direction of development, though.

Lanai: quietest of the main islands with just 2 (very nice) resorts, a small town and a whole lot of agricultural land.
Apr 12th, 2004, 07:05 PM

Definitely do at least 2 islands. Wouldn't do anymore than that. Spent our honeymoon on Kauai at the Hyatt in Poipu. Beautiful place. If I could choose another islands I would go to Maui. If we could do our honeymoon all over I would make it 2 weeks and go to both Kauai and Maui.

Search this Thread