Hawaii- Which Island?

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii- Which Island?

Hello- We are thinking of going to Hawaii next year for our 5th anniversary but we are unsure of which island to stay on and which island(s) to visit for day trips (as we heard you can do). We have never been but heard wonderful things about all the islands. Any help would be appreciated!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 11:16 AM

We did our honeymoon 9 years ago and spent about 3 days on the big island (Hawaii) Kona Coast. It was absolutely beautiful and completely relaxing. Most of those resorts are built on lava rock. If you drive further up the coast you experience incredible changes in terrain and climate that are truly exhilerating. From lava rock to cowboy country to tropical rain forest. The other side ot the island has active volcanoes, but we skipped that since the locals said the activity wasn't so great at the time. Then we spent about 8 days on Maui at Kapalua. Beautiful also, with more action. The town of Lahaina has activities, shops and restaurants. Kapalua has spectacular golf if you like that and the beaches are truly wonderful.
About 4 years ago we returned with friends and went to Kapalua again, and then to Kauwai (not sure how to spell that). Kauwai was unique in that it seemed to have a lot of older villages with plenty of character. The boat trip on the Napali coast was amazing, and hiking through the canyons was spectacular also. I've heard Lanai is great also. From what I've heard, I'd stay away from Oahu - too busy. Enjoy!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Any of the islands will be great for you. All have their strong points. We live on Oahu and you won't find a beach like Waikiki anyplace else in the islands (or in the world for that matter). Oahu has great services and shopping.

The BI has great resorts and the volcano. Kauai is less developed and has the spectacular NaPali coast. Maui has Haleakala and great whale watching. You'll find plenty of island-unique things whichever one you go to.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Hello, it would be usefull to know how long you plan on staying in Hawaii for your 5th anniversary before giving suggestions. I would argue against day trips, rather spend a few days or more on a couple of islands including: Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island of Hawaii.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 12:54 PM

Each of the islands is unique based on the age of the island and its population. In my opinion, Oahu is the most touristy of all the islands. The Big Island has a more rugged shoreline but the volcanoes make a visit very worthwhile. Kauai is very green but not as developed and more laid back than Maui. However, Maui is my favorite of all the islands even tho it can also be touristy. To me, it has a little bit of everything -- mountains, beautiful beaches, waterfalls, a dormant volcano and plenty of shops, restaurants and nightlife.

I agree that if you have the time you should allow several days each on the Big Island, Kauai and Maui.

We just returned from 10 days on Maui and had a wonderful time!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 01:06 PM

I spent a week on the Big Island 3 yrs. ago on business, and what an amazing place. The dramatic change in the landscape and topography from the west (Kona side) to the east (Hilo side) was truly unique. The west side is like a moonscape due to the volcanic activity. The east side is like a tropical rain forest. If you go to the Big Island definitely take a tour of the Kiluea Volcano. I took an all day (8 hr.) guided tour of the island and really enjoyed it. The tour guide was very informative. I'm sorry I do not remember the name of the tour company.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 01:23 PM

all of the islands are unique and beautiful in their own way...you'd probably enjoy any of them, but the real question is how much activity do you want, how much time do you have. id definitely try to see at least 2 islands,and yes, i'd include oahu as one of them. I cant imagine going all the way to hawaii and not at least experiencing all oahu has to offer. the other islands are more lush and more relaxing in my opinion and my least favorite island was the big island...kind of drab and not as much to do. Maui was my favorite,just the right mix for my family of relaxing and activities. Good luck! you;ll have a great time no matter where you go.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 02:05 PM

Nobody can answer the question "Which island should I go to?". This type of question just begs lots of answers like "I loved X Island and therefore you will love it too. Wrong !!!
You will get more meaningful answers if you indicate what you like to do amd ask which island is most likely to match your likes.
And don't pay any attention to anyone who tells you not to go to Oahu. As Yogi Berra might say "Nobody goes to Oahu because it is too crowded."
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay-- I have been away and uable to answer questions from you. We want to stay 10 days, we would like to golf, snorkel, go to a luau, shop and see some sites. We would ideally like to go in the spring to whale watch as well- Thank you for all of your help!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 08:28 AM

You are not asking for much, most Hawaiian Islands offer those activities. If this is gonna be your only trip to Hawaii for a while, suggest 4 days on Maui, 4 days on Kauai and 2 on the Big Island of Hawaii. If you expect to come back spend more time on fewer Islands. Most populated or crowded is Oahu, less in Maui, less in Big Island, and least in Kauai. You will love Hawaii!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I appreciate your help. We are looking forward to our trip. This will probably be our last trip for a while. We want to go before we have kids.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 09:22 AM

Don't spend your time hopping from Island to Island. Pick one Island and enjoy time for just relaxing. Oahu is busy, Kaui is beautiful-green-but sometimes wet, Hawaii is dynamic-but it seemed to lack some of the paradise effect for me--maybe it was the vog. I like Maui the best. Don't know what your $ situation is but I'd recommend the Wailea area. Many go to Kanapali. If you're on a budget, a condo in Kihei can be a great deal.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 09:08 PM

Hi Finsup, We spent 14 days in hawaii last year. 3 in oahu- 5 in maui - 6 in kauai. The only thing i would change would be 6 in maui and 5 in kauai. First stop Oahu, for us was the hawaii we had seen in movies and t.v. we loved every minute of the enviroment, ( hey i am a tourist and so is every visitor). Second stop Maui and it was just for us the best, so much to do so much to see , hated to leave. Third stop Kauai and it was very beautifull , not as touristy ( tourist lingo, lol, oh i forgot i am a tourist ) as mauai or oahu. And the funny thing was it rained all the time ( oh yes it is the wettest place on earth). My wife said it was to country like , and lol were from texas. As far as memories Kauai left me with the best. The helicopter ride was great, then we hiked the baby grand canyon and it was awsome and humbleling. We also hiked the bali hi ridge- from kee beach , our moto hike till you stop smiling and we did smile a lot at the shear beauty, then returned to kee beach to snorkle.

So i say all this to give you a picture of my experience and now you can gleen from it, to help you. Really you cant make a wrong choice, say aloha to paradise for me, mahalo nick