Honeymoon Help for November

Feb 1st, 2009, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Help for November

Travel planning is my thing, but now I have to plan both a wedding and a vacation (i.e. honeymoon)! I guess there are worse problems to have, but I am hoping that fellow Fodorites can help out with some honeymoon ideas based on the following criteria:

1. We are an older bride & groom (38 & 52).

2. We aren't beach people or skiers, but like historical stuff along with some nature thrown in for good measure.

3.Our honeymoon would be the second week of November, 2009.

My two top picks are San Francisco or Maui, but he has been to SF twice (last time in 1998) and I am not sure we'll have enough time to go to Maui since we probably wouldn't leave for our trip til Sunday afternoon or Monday morning, and then come home probably the following Sat or Sunday.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Feb 1st, 2009, 09:47 AM

If you can fy on Sunday I think you have enough time for Maui. Although SF might be easier because so much public transportation is available in the area.
Even if you can't fly till Monday, you'd have at least 4 full days on Maui, enough for a first visit and to decide if you want to come back sometime.
Feb 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM

A couple of decades ago, my wife and I got tired of referring to a trip as a "second honeymoon." So we started a list called "Trips Like Honeymoons" that, after 25.5 years of marriage, is now up to 54 such trips. I thus would like to help you choose a place that I think you would like.

You don't need beaches or skis for a November trip, but "like historical stuff along with some nature." To me, this would sound like a Carribean trip, where you could get good weather, along with some history and nature.

But I'm confused about your two top choices: San Francisco and Maui. GREAT places to go on a romantic trip, I agree, but neither seems to fit your stated choices, and each is quite different from the other. So I guess we'll need a little more info:

1) what is your starting point?
2) is it absolutely necessary to travel within the U.S.?
3) what about them makes you place SF and Maui at the top of your list?

If either is your choice, I'll fully agree: SF was one of MY top choices for a honeymoon spot, and Hawaii was BY FAR the most romantic of all 54 of our trips. But we'll be more able to assist you if we can get a better focus on what you're looking for.
Feb 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM

I've gone to Hawaii for only 4 days and thorougly enjoyed it, but I am flying from the west coast, so I don't have severe jet lag issues or connecting flights.

Yes, it would help to tell us where you are originating from.

Would Mexico- Playa de Carmen, Tulum suit you or be easier flights? Lots of interesting ruins, some gorgeous romantic hotels.
Feb 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

We will be flying out of Chicago Midway and want to fly somewhere that Southwest goes to since we have a free roundtrip ticket. Actually, I see that Southwest doesn't fly to Hawaii anymore, so I guess we can forget that.

Need to stay in US since that is where Southwest flies.

I had picked Maui because we went to Oahu in Jan 2006 and loved it.

I picked San Francisco because it seems like a great city with alot to do, both in the city and nearby.
Feb 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Okay was just informed by my fiance that it doesn't absolutely need to be somewhere Southwest flies, though that would be helpful financially.
Feb 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM

How about Tucson or Scottsdale? There are some beatiful resorts there. My friends rave about the Camelback Inn and Spa.
Feb 1st, 2009, 11:50 AM

Please investigate flying into Albuquerque, driving to SantaFe for your stay, and a day trip to Taos. The weather will be comfortably cool, but not likely cold. There are terrific museums and a short drive away from town gets you hiking trails. Great food, shopping, friendly tourist focused locals. Your accomodations can be basic budget to luxury.

Best wishes to the happy couple.
Feb 1st, 2009, 12:15 PM

I was also going to suggest New Mexico! It is beautiful in the fall, and there are SO many neat, romantic places to stay there. We stayed at The Bishop's Lodge for a weekend getaway years ago, and I'm sure it is still gorgeous!
Feb 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM

I live in San Francisco, and think it's an excellent choice, but I also think you would LOVE the Santa Fe area -- great walking, art galleries, museums, historical stuff, shopping, not to mention outstanding restaurants!

(Too bad you're from Chicago, or I would have recommended THAT!)
Feb 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Like the idea of Santa Fe, but we were there two years ago.
Feb 1st, 2009, 12:40 PM

OK, then how about San Francisco (really easy trip from Midway - I've done it several times), and you can either stay in the city the whole time, or plan for a drive south to the Carmel/Monterey area or north to the Sonoma/Napa area (or Pt. Reyes, or Bodega Bay, or Half Moon Bay, etc.). In fact, how about spending the whole trip at one hotel in San Francisco, but plan to rent a car one of those days to see the parts of the city that are easier by car, and/or to travel out of the city to the coast (south) for one day - visit the parks, maybe Half Moon Bay for strolling and eating lunch or dinner, Stanford University campus if you're interested?
Feb 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM

Oops, didn't mean to suggest Half Moon Bay is north -- it's south -- nice little town on the coast.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:06 AM

Okay, fly Southwest in November to a place with history and some nature. Hmmmm.

San Francisco WOULD have been ideal a month or so earlier, and is probably acceptable at that time. Just be prepared for cool weather and less than perfect drives to the Napa Region.

Basically, November travel means South. For Southwest Airlines, that would mean Arizona or Florida.

Although beaches and parties aren't a priority for you, the latter has more history and nature than you would guess. Saint Augustine. Everglades. Key West (yes, they have stuff other than parties there). Wildlife refuges. Look past beaches, parties, and Orlanda; and you can find what you're looking for.

Arizona would also be good. Phoenix has museums, shopping, spas, SOME preserved spaces. You can go north to Sedona / Jerome and The Canyon, or south to hispanic Tucson. For a place to relax, I think it'd be ideal.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:28 AM

Charleston, South Carolina would be a great pick.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM

Perhaps San Antonio? The Alamo, the Riverwalk, various missions, terrific food, boot scootin', SeaWorld, a day trip to Austin, drive into the TX hill country, an overnite to N.Padre Island/Corpus Christi. Be sure to eat TX Bar-B-Que if you go.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM

Charleston is a great idea! (I personally would pick Charleston over San Antonio, but San Antonio was nice enough). Charleston is lovely, historical, great restaurants, plantations, fantastic (but compact) downtown shopping area, all those magnificent mansions along Bay St. (some of which are open to the public).
Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all of the wonderful ideas, however we have visited many of the locations mentioned in the past few years. We visited Tucson the same trip as Sante Fe, with a quick stop in Phoenix.

We visited San Antonio as part of fiance's 50th birthday trip in Feb 2007.

I had not thought of South Carolina and will consider that.

Florida is a consideration as well. We have not been to the East coast of FLA except to go to Cape Canaveral.

I still like the idea of San Francisco though. Just have to convice FH that we can get out of town to do other stuff that he hasn't done yet. I have only been to Southern CA, and that was in Dec 2004.

Fiance says he would like to go back to New England (we were there this past Oct) but I would think in November it will be cold and the colors will be gone.