Holiday Skiing in Vermont

Aug 12th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Holiday Skiing in Vermont

How is the snow typically in Mid-Late December in Vermont? We live in FL and are considering skiing at Smuggs or Ascutney around the holidays. I am a little nervous the snow could be scarce with the hot summer we've had. I know Ascutney is a much smaller resort than Smuggs but it would be a little easier for us to fly there (Southwest) and I heard good things about holiday activities in Woodstock VT. We have two kids 1 and 3. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
Aug 14th, 2010, 08:56 AM
bm

I'd scratch Ascutney off your list. There was an article in last week's paper that the resort is in financial distress and there is some speculation that they may not operate this year.
That being said...Smuggs is further north and there is better chance for snow. It could be a crap-shoot. We could have tons of snow or we could have none. It's really hard to tell. The best time to come is mid-late February or early March if you want lots of snow!
Aug 16th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on Ascutney and the snow, my husband and I have vacation days that have to be used by year end. I am hoping there would be some fund Christmas activities so even if the snow wasn't great it be something different for us since Christmas here can be 75 degrees.
Aug 16th, 2010, 08:59 AM

We like Okemo. Big mountain and good slopes for all levels. Our kids love it there.
Aug 16th, 2010, 09:02 AM

I love Stowe, Vermont. Great town and great skiing!

www.gostowe.com
Aug 20th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Try to go as far north as possible and you may have snow, or less chance of warm days that melt the man-made stuff. If you go to Stowe and there's no snow you are close to Burlington for a day trip as well. You could also go to Bretton Woods in NH which is pretty far north, and there's nearby North Conway and Jackson for sights and shopping if you end up not having snow.
Aug 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM

If Smuggler's appeals to you, I might stick with that. They pride themselves on their kid's programs and fun for the whole family. There are other activities as well.
The snow can be a crapshoot in New England though in December--could be good or could be very thin.
Aug 20th, 2010, 01:17 PM
nlg

We went to Smuggler's Notch in May(no skiing)-we loved the Smuggs area. We stayed in the Mountain Estates section of Smuggs and our two bedroom, two bath condo was great-we even had a fireplace and tv in the master bedroom. You can fly Southwest into Manchester, NH and drive to Smuugs from there.
If you go to Smuggs, be sure to go to Stella Notte restaurant right across the road-it was wonderful.
Aug 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM

Another vote for Stowe. Fly into Burlington. An easy drive from there and lots to do. Try Harrison's - an excellent restaurant in Stowe Village.