Mount Snow, Vermont over Christmas Break?

Old Nov 18th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mount Snow, Vermont over Christmas Break?

How is the skiing in southern Vermont at the end of December? I've booked a fairly expensive trip and I am wondering if it is worth it.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM

As, I've said many times on this board re: this question - you never know about weather in New England. It could be cold with lots of snow and perfect skiing or it could be warm and pouring rain, a combo of the above or anything in between. You won't know until you see the forecast a few days ahead. It will be crowded though, as all the schools and colleges are off. There are pros and cons to that - more crowded slopes but lots of activities planned at all the areas. I hope it works out for you. VT is a beautiful place.

ISY
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 11:43 AM

the key to skiing in New England is generally to pick a spot with extensive snow making coverage and hope that the weather cooperates so that they can produce. The resorts tend to get more and more trails open as the Christmas week progresses.

You can probably go the Mt. Snow website and see how much snowmaking they have on a trail map.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 12:54 PM

We used to always go to Mt. Snow the week between Xmas and New Years. We did it 6 or 7 years in a row.

While it was always a fun trip the generally lousy snow conditions along with huge crowds eventually got old. Conditions were always iffy with thin cover and a tendency towards high winds.

Ever since, we've postponed the trip for a few weeks and have an excellent time. Cheaper, less crowded and far better conditions.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 07:09 PM

I used to go to Killington that week every year and the conditions were iffy at best. If the trip is that costly you might be able to go west or switch to Presidents week instead and likely have better snow.