Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Holiday Inn Manhattan 6th Ave - good location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am shopping for a NYC hotel for a trip I am taking with my husband and two teenage girls in July. We plan on seeing Wicked, ESB, SOL, Ellis Island and doing lots of shopping along the way. Thanks to the great tip McLaurie gave me about checking out the Travelzoo site, I found a deal for the Holiday Inn Manhattan 6th Avenue - $119/nt! The reviews are good on tripadvisor except for some negativity about slow elevators and small sized rooms, which we can live with. Any comments on this hotel? And what do you think of the location given our plans? The rate seems too good to be true.
Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
ARe you comfortable with the subway? If "yes", then you'll be okay in that area. You'd be near ESB. I'm not sure the time frame but $189 came up for a weekend in April when I checked.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Would not be my first choice location or hotel for a family of 4, but you can't argue with the price. If it's cancelable, I'd book it and wait to see if there are other options that might have bigger rooms and/or better location. This location is convenient but not terribly attractive.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Agree the area is safe, but kind of dreary after work hours.

Do book it - but keep looking for something more pleasant. And are you sure the $119 is for 4 people rather than just 2?
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM

bargains, check the LaQuinta (www.lq.com) or the Holiday Inn Express. I like the locations better and they both offer free breakfasts. The LQ is just two blocks from Macy's at Herald Square and near the ESB. It's near Madison Square Garden - still not glitzy but I like the location better and I really enjoyed staying at the LQ last year. My room happened to be free on points but I'm definitely going back when I'm on a budget.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. Sorry for the delay in responding. We had a small emergency.
The rate of $119 is for two adults and two children because the website said that children under 19 stay free in most locations. If this particular location does charge for the girls it will be $10/night each which will still be pretty reasonable provided the hotel is nice. When I booked this hotel my total for the four nights is $553. So even if I have to add $80 if they charge the kids as additional adults, it sounds like a great deal provided the location works.

I had booked the Hilton Garden Inn in Times Square for a total of $1140 for 4 nights and then saw a special for the Affinia Manhattan for $992 for the 4 nights. I think the location of these hotels is better but I'm not sure that it outweighs the savings. My husband is nervous that there must be something wrong with the Holiday Inn to make the rate so low.

Starr, thanks for your suggestions but the LaQuinta had no vacancies for our July stay and the Holiday Inn express was $159/night.

Can you tell me what section of NYC this hotel is in? What restaurants or places of interest besides the ESB might be nearby? We don't mind riding the subway but will have to learn the system and lines and all. Is the subway stop very close to the hotel?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:24 AM

You're not really near much except the ESB and Macy's. And the area definitely isn;t known for dining. There are a bunch of fast food places and a couple of pubs. You really need to hed elsewhere for most sights and better dining options. (It's really better to eat in the residential areas - which have a much bigger choice of good neighborhood places at reasonable prices - try the upper west side, the Village or the east Village - or restaurant row - 9th Ave in the 40's.)
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM

Hotel rooms in Manhattan generally are on the very small side. Even some of the luxury hotels have 'petit' rooms that are 10x13.

That said, I'd spend a few more dollars and stay elsewhere. Four people in a room is a lot and four people in a teeny tiny room might make you insane.

Aside from the Affina deal, check the NY Salisbury Hotel. The Midtown location is excellent and they have large rooms for a Manhattan hotel.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM

If you look at this Manhattan Bus map,
http://mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf
you will see both the bus (rectangles with the colored lines)and subways (circles)near your hotel (and anywhere in Manhattan). I don't know if this online map will print well, but I actually keep a copy (that you can get from most subway stations when you get here) for my out of town guests. It is a pretty straightforward street map, plus lists many major attractions, as well as having all the transit info in one place. Google Maps will show you that there are subways nearby, but won't specify which lines.

If this is the Holiday Inn at 125 w 26th, you are really closer to the Chelsea and Flatiron neighborhoods than to the Empire State Building area. It is a more vibrant area, even if the particular block is kind of quiet. There are a few new luxury high rise buildings within a block, so it is much more residential than it was a few years ago (when it would have been all retail, even sort of industrial). There's a very popular Whole Foods a block or 2 away on 7th avenue.
You are half a block from several bus lines that will take you to midtown, and 2 blocks from several train lines
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
yk

Your hotel is very near the Koreantown in NYC. Lots of authentic Korean restaurants within a few blocks.

Your rate is really good. If you're nervous, why not call the hotel and ask to speak with a manager and find out what kind of room and how large it is?
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:15 PM

I hope your emergency was nothing serious and you're all well.

W. 26th st. & 6th ave. is in between the flatiron district to the east, Chelsea to the south and west & the garment center/Penn station area to the north. You should map it on
maps.google.com I think it's a great deal. I think the shortcoming is only the size of the room and the fact that it's 2 double beds. The Hilton Garden Inn rooms have 2 queens and are larger and the Affinia Manhattan is a suite hotel with kitchen.

I think it's very possible you could find another sale on travelzoo for one of the suite hotels. I'll also mention that a few of the Hampton Inns (Chelsea, Times Square North and midtown east) have rooms with 2 queen beds. At this point they're likely to be more expensive.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your great comments. I'll keep looking for deals on travelzoo but keep the reservation.

I just checked out the NY Salisbury hotel but they do not have availabilty for my dates.

I would prefer to have two queen beds instead of doubles but I can't get past the savings. I figure four nights isn't very long to put up with small beds and a small room. Maybe that will get the kids out of bed earlier in the morning! That's a good idea about calling the hotel. Maybe I'll get a better idea of what it is like there.

Many thanks for the subway maps. They look pretty complicated but I'm sure we'll get the hang of it and that will help to understand how to get to places.

We are all well for now. My elderly mother had to be hospitalized for an infection and I was away from my computer. She is 88, is blind and has dementia so I had to stay with her in the hospital. She is back home now and things are back to "normal".
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:47 AM

This is great for figuring out the best route from place to place -
http://www.hopstop.com/?city=newyork
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much starrs. This site is great and will be very helpful!
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 07:36 PM

You're welcome. Just passing it on. I got it from the NY experts here. I printed out some of the routes and used them each day. A subway map is great, but I liked using these too.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
For that rate, we would squeeze into the double beds . I too prefer queens, but would make do for the right price. The savings can be spent on good dining. Also, a big factor is the hotel in a good and safe neighborhood and it appears it is according to the NY people. If you were going to be there for one night, then I would say splurge, but 4 nights can be pricey. Book and check out other places in the meantime. Good luck.