Search

Hocking Hills

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hocking Hills

Never been, and I want to go in October. Problem is, I only want to go for one night and all the accomodations require two on a weekend.

Would it be stupid to stay in Columbus? We live in Cleveland and I think the directions to Hocking Hills take us right past Easton Town Center, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I also think it's an hour from Columbus?

So we could head down to Hocking Hills early on a Saturday, spend the day there... have lunch, then head to Easton Town Center at night. And shop on Sunday (an added bonus for me).

If we like it, we could go back someday for a long weekend (I'd like to stay at the Inn at Cedar Falls).

So thoughts on this idea?
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
maj

Actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. You could scout around the area (Hocking Hills), do a couple of hikes and see what it is like. It should be beautiful in October.

Did you check the hotels (Holiday Inn Express and Amerihost) in Logan? Do they require a 2 night stay also? I would check their websites (or call)-- sometimes the information is different than the one on the Hocking Hills accommodation web site.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Maj, I will check that out.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Amalie, just curious because I live in Columbus, what draws you to Easton? Easton is off I-270 Outerbelt rather than straight down I-71. I like to drive up to the Cleveland area and find the Beachwood mall and the shops surrounding it have much more sophisticated clothes. There is a Nordstroms and SFA in one location. If you go to Hocking Hills, 2 nice places to dine are Grouse Nest and Inn at Cedar Falls. Old Man's Cave is nice for hiking. You can stop in Logan and pick up picnic supplies.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 08:03 AM

That would be quite a lot of driving & I really see little point in going back to Columbus. If I were going back to Columbus I'd stay near German Village & eat there as well. That wouldn't be out of your way either. You're also picking one of the busiest times to go. I always suggest September or November as all of the leaf peepers already have their calenders marked, & reservations made. Plus, it won't be much fun hiking w/wall to wall people.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:12 PM
syd

Certainly doable, just sounds like a very long day.

The Inn at Cedar Falls is lovely and I think a destination in itself. It's so peaceful in the evenings and the early mornings there.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

aliska - I love Easton. I go to the Beachwood Mall all the time. I can't spend all day there, I have to go there AND Legacy. I can spend all day at Easton.

SAnParis:
Little point in going back to Columbus?
But we'd have to drive back that way on Sunday anyway to get back home.

And leaf time is the point of going for me!

I don't think it would be so bad. Leave Cleveland around 6am, get to Hocking Hills by 10am. Hike around a little bit (we are not big hikers) have lunch, hike a little more, and then head up to Columbus by dinner time or after dinner time. It would definitely break up the drive for me on Sunday morning, instead of doing 4 hours at once, it would be 2.5 hours.

I think I live close enough that I could do this and then go back next year for longer.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM

The very best place to view the leaves is the rim trail @ Conkles Hollow. You are actually above the tree line there & the crowds will not be as bad. Or the alternative, just go shopping @ Easton, which IS out of your way, btw as mentioned by aliska.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Going straight up I-71 vs. the I-270 outerbelt is not really THAT far out of the way. Not a big deal to me. It's a matter of perspective.

Hiking and shopping in a weekend. I can have my cake and eat it too!
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 04:44 AM
syd

I agree with you that Easton is really not that far out the way. Sounds like a fun trip.