COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Hilton Head - Westin vs Sea Pines

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Hilton Head - Westin vs Sea Pines

My family is going to Hilton Head for the first time later this month. We have been priced out of Kiawah, unfortunately, after many years of traveling there. With a teen and preteen, does anyone have recommendations for the Westin vs Sea Pines, or any other location.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:54 AM
GoTravel

The Westin is a hotel while the Sea Pines are condo and home rentals correct?

If you've been priced out, what about an off the beach condo rental? You can still walk to the beach and with a condo you have a kitchen and don't have to eat all your meals out.

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Seabrook - next to Kiawah - might also be an option. It's usually a little cheaper. I'd also check vrbo.com for lower rates on Kiawah than through the resort or other rental agencies. Being able to cook definitely saves on the budget. If you do decide to go the Kiawah/Seabrook route, check out the lunch counter at Newton Farms; pretty resonable and the items I've had have been good. Beats a $15 hamburger!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Stayed at the Westin last summer as my daughter was a lifeguard at all the Hilton Head beaches. It was awesome. She says its probably the best choice.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:33 PM

The Westin is a great hotel. Sea Pines is a great resort with homes and condos. Depends on which vacation you are looking for. I think Sea Pines is the best of the plantations on HH. Multiple destinations inside the plantation. Large enough you don't have to leave if you don't want to. You won't be disappointed in either choice.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM

We stayed at the Hilton Head Westin last summer. It is the worst hotel that we have ever stayed in anywhere. The entire hotel reeked of mildew. The carpet throughout the hotel was actually damp. The elevators were not all in service and those that did work were quite slow. Most guests were using the unattractive stairways (fire exits) because it was so much quicker to walk. Nonetheless, the stairways had garbage lying on the steps and hadn't been painted in ages. The food was below average and expensive. Housekeeping banged on our door every morning before 8am to clean the room even though we had the "do not disturb" sign on the door. The pool was crowded with people from the nearby condos, who were able to use the Westin facilities. I can say the beach was fine.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 08:18 AM

I would vote for Sea Pines. If you need lodging try the: saltydog, seapines or vrbo websites.