COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Perry Hotel or Apple Tree Inn

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Perry Hotel or Apple Tree Inn

My husband and I (50's) are going to Petoskey Aug. 19.
Which hotel would you recommend? We aren't big nightlife people, usually stay in condos on vacation but can't seem to find any in Petoskey area.
Perry Inn has a room but has no balcony which we really like but it seems to be in a great locationand views. Apple Tree has balconies but am unsure of location and noise?
Thanks for suggestions.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Hi Dolphin,

I've never stayed at the Apple Tree but the Perry Hotel is very nice, and the location is great. By looking at Mapquest, it looks like the Apple Tree is on the main road out of town so it might be noisy, and there's not the same character in that area. I would probably pick the Perry, even without the balcony. Have you also tried looking on vrbo.com for a condo? If you're only staying one night, it might be hard to find something.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry I should have said we are arriving on the 19th and staying 6 nights.
first night we are staying in Trav. City at Points North Inn.
Next 5 nights are open. But we usually like to have a home base and Petoskey looked like a good place to do day trips out of without having to unpack and move to another area. Unless you think that is too long to stay in one place.?
thanks for the quick response and advice.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:47 AM

If you'll be there that long, I'd recommend staying in Traverse City the whole time instead - there is more to do around there. And Petoskey is only around an hour from there, and Mackinaw City is 2 hours away.

Also, try VRBO.com for the TC area - there are lots of really nice places. They may all be booked at this point, but it wouldn't hurt to check. Points North is nice though too - maybe stay there all week.

From TC, you can easily visit not only Petoskey, Charlevoix and other places north, but closer to TC, try the Old Mission & Leelanau Peninsulas - both with lighthouses at the end, and lots of good restaurants along the way. On the Leelanau Peninsula, there's Suttons Bay, Northport, Leland - all cool cities to visit. Farther south from there is the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes.

Heidi
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:14 AM

Dolphin: It's not too long to stay in the Petoskey area, but I think it's too long to stay at the Perry Hotel (or the Apple Tree Inn).

Do a Google for Lakeside Club in Petoskey. We have stayed here several times when visiting Petoskey. Great location, studio, one, two and three bedroom condos. Tennis courts, indoor pool, lakefront (inland lake) or pondview. Perhaps they will have some availability. Six nights is long in a hotel room.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Dolphin: I just checked vacationrentalsnorth.com and there is a studio unit(#57) available for your dates. I think this would be better than a hotel room.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM

But of the two hotels you will be happier at the Perry. It is downtown so you can stroll to dining, shopping, the lakefront, etc.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:08 PM

Here is a picture of the stretch of hwy that the Apple Tree Inn is on. It is behind the person taking the picture, but you get the general idea. http://tinyurl.com/n52jz

I tried to find a similar picture of the Perry, showing the sort of setting it was in, but no such luck. I am working in Petoskey tomorrow though and I will try to get a picture of both settings for you.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 03:38 AM

I agree with Rapunzll, of the two hotels you've mentioned, the Perry is the better choice. Walkable to downtown Petoskey and all the shops and restaurants.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 04:46 AM

I will probably drive over to Harbor Springs to see a friend today as well, and I will see if I can find out anything about the condo I mentioned in the downtown area there.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Dolphin, I found the place in Harbor Springs that I had told you about! http://harborside-inn.net/ I am trying to download pictures from my camera, but it's fairly new and I must be doing something wrong! I'll try to figure it out though.

Some of the rooms have balconies or patios onto the main street and some have water views. The rates are very reasonable I think and they have availabilty for the dates you will be in the area. Check out the tab for 'ownership opportunities' and then click on the blue link.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the info.
Rpnzl-thanks for all the effort to help.
Apple Tree Inn picture says it all. Just goes to show you can't go by websites alone. That's why this site is so great.
Will probably stay with Perry.
Heard they were guarding the Mac Bridge pretty closely after terrorist threat.
Thanks again.