Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hilton Head restaurant/activity suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We go to Hilton Head w/our kids every summer so we are pretty familiar with the area, but it doesn't hurt to get new suggestions and ideas. We are already fans of Crazy Crab, Old Oyster Factory, SmokeHouse BBQ, Kenny B's, Marley's and RedFish. Any other places we shouldn't miss (nothing too upscale as kids are 3 & 4)?

We've been thinking about doing a 2 hour boat ride tour around Daufskie Island. Anyone done this or have other activites to consider? We're going to drive to Savannah one night to eat at Lady & Sons since we regret missing it on our last visit!

Thanks!!
Lisa
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:24 AM
OO

It's been about 10 years and I don't know how much development has taken place in the interim, but we did the boat trip to Daufuskie, then the tour. Ours was in a golf cart as there were only a few of us and it was thoroughly enjoyable...more so because I'd read Pat Conroy's book, The Water is Wide. As much as people recommend reading "Midnight" before going to Savannah, the same is true about Water is Wide before Daufuskie. It's a great look back at the island as it used to be and I can sure see Conroy in that setting...and losing that job too! I've enjoyed all his books (even named our boat after one of them) and this is probably the least well-known, but perhaps my favorite.

I'm sure you've already made the trip to Beaufort and out to Fripp?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

We actually haven't been to Beaufort and I posted a thread about it not too long ago, but people didn't seem to think it would be a good place to visit with small children. Hence our decision to go back to Savannah for dinner one night for a venture off the island.

I'm so glad you recommended the Pat Conroy book. Prince of Tides is one of my favorites (didn't care for the movie) but that's all I've read of his. I really felt like I appreciated Savannah so much more having read Midnight so I'll have to get to Water is Wide before we go. That gives me motivation to finish what I'm reading now - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - very good, but so hard to find time to read with little ones around (I'm at work today!).
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:08 AM

Another vote for Conroy; if you don't have time to read Water Is Wide, see if you can get the movie "Conrack" -- early 70s with Jon Voight (Netflix maybe if you have that?). A much more successful adaptation than most of Conroy's other books. Or try it on tape, great for a commute or a drive.

Another note: Unless they've changed things at Lady & Sons, they do not take reservations other than for larger parties. Since this can involve a long wait, with little ones along this can be a real bummer in the summer heat and humidity. You may want to call ahead. Personally, I don't think it's worth the wait although many posters here love it. You may want to do a search on chowhound for recent reviews.

I still find Beaufort is delightful -- I'd take a carriage ride with the kids before it gets too hot, then have lunch down by the Marina with a harbor view. There's a playground there too if I recall.

Daufuskie Island boat ride sounds fab -- will go in my file of things to do when company comes. Do let us know how you liked it.

B/
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

We had planned on eating at Lady & Sons last year but after a full day of eating and touring Savannah we were ready to head back to Hilton Head. I've heard that if you go to Lady & Sons on a weekday and get there for the first seating you may have to line up ahead of time but you should get in, so that's what we plan to do. Hopefully it will work out okay.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:28 AM
OO

I'd skimmed your post snowrooster, and missed the kids' ages. It's good for a short stay with them. They will enjoy the carriage ride through the Point and--you'll enjoy the beautiful old homes there. There are swings along the waterfront for the kids when you finish, as birgator said.

Does your trip include a land tour of Daufuskie or is it just water? I found the land portion fascinating. Despite the arrival of the one resort, the island at the point we were there had resisted development. They've vowed that a bridge will never be built to Daufuskie, which makes the logistics of living there a bit overwhelming...to say nothing of the difficulties in building!