Search

tybee Island GA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 08:25 AM
granniem

tybee Island GA

I saw an ad for a boat that brings to you where the dolphins play. It is from Tybee Island GA. I have never heard of this town before, anyone have any thoughts, experiences with this?

Thank you

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM
GoTravel

The boat guns its engines and the dolphins surf in the wake. It's pretty cool to see.

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tybee is the beach at Savannah, Ga. I am not sure if the boat leaves from Tybee or Savannah. It is a separate little town, but it's usually considered part of the Savannah area.

There was some discussion as to whether or not this is a good thing for the dolphins as it encourages them to look for handouts when they should be out looking for their own food.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Tybee is an island off the Savannah tidal coast. It is about 10 miles east if memory serves me. And my memory sometimes goes on strike. Sometimes, Tybee is called the Poor Man's Hilton Head: you can actually see Hilton Head from the Tybee Lighthouse. When I was there about 8 years ago, it was a true old fashioned beach destination: not too many big McMansions to be seen. You were there for the B E A C H.

Is it a federal law that you aren't supposed to feed the dolphins in open water? In Florida, you get fined big bucks for feeding them. It is great fun to see the dolphins play in the wakes, but we were told to hoot and holler because they like the noise as much as the wake. They swam alongside the boat, looking at us acting like dopes.

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 11:06 AM
granniem

It didn't say anything about feeding the dolphins. I would not do that. We are going to go swim with the dolphins at Discovery Cove in Fl., my daughter and Grandkids are nutso about dolphins and want to do everything that involves them. This guy "Capt. Mike was featured on tv and you go out for 1 1/2 hours to where they "play"

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 11:25 AM

I wonder if that boat is like The Screamer off Clearwater Beach. That's about the most obnoxious boat out there and I'm a boater! It does get the dolphin leaping in its wake, I've seen them from shore, but I'd think you'd come home from that experience deaf, just judging from the noise we hear back at shore! Have you done it at Tybee GoT?

Actually...they play everywhere, including the Savannah river by downtown! They get into the marsh and smaller tributaries...easy to hunt dinner in the confined banks of the marsh and that's a pretty amazing sight if you happen on it. You'll even see them in marinas on a quiet day as they can pin the fish within the confines of the marina. Dirty fighters!