Hilton Head in October?

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilton Head in October?

I'm in the process of putting together a family vacation for October 6-11. There are two adults and 2 kids (age 3 and 5 months). We live in DC are looking for somewhere warm to travel. We were thinking of driving down to Hilton Head but had a couple of questions:
1. What is the weather like in October?
2. Has anyone stayed at the Disney Hilton Head resort?
3. What activities are in the area?

Any information is greatly appreciated as I start our trip planning.

Thanks!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:46 AM

re: weather - www.wunderground.com has a trip planner tool where you can check averages by date or range of dates.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:06 AM

The ocean will be too cold to swim in, but otherwise the weather is likely to be beautiful Indian Summer. YMMV.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:06 AM
DRJ

Have lived on the island for 26 years. May and October, IMO, are the best of the year.

Have not been to the Disney resort.

Most come here for the beach and golf. The beach is superb and golf plentiful.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Will it be warm enough to swim in a pool in early October?
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 12:05 PM
DRJ

Might be.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Confirm that Disney's pool is heated. Be aware that Disney's resort is at least 2 miles from the beach and you get there by bus. I would find a beach front resort. Even if the water is too cold to swim, you want to be able to walk the beach and see the ocean from your room.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Just doing a quick search using Google indicated the the average ocean temps between Charleston, SC and off of Savannah, GA are 73-80 at the end of Sept and through the beginning of October. This is warmer than Lake Michigan in the summer, so I wouldn't be surprised (if the weather is on the warm side) that your kids will want to go in the ocean. At least they can build sandcastles at water's edge. The average highs look to be in the high 70s to 80 around then. Get trip insurance in case of a hurricane, though.

BTW, the water temp right now off of Ludington, MI is a balmy 64 degrees and it's August!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 06:52 PM

We were in HH last Thanksgiving with our daughter and (then) 2 1/2 year old grandson. We couldn't keep him OUT of the water--yes, it was cold, but he didn't care. The weather was glorious! There were lots of kids in the pool. We're going again this year.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:23 PM

Best time of year to visit the low country. Warm days, cooler nights, lower humidity. In early October the water temperature will be comfortable, unless you prefer bath water ranges. For the latter, go in July.

Never stayed at Disney there, but it must do a good job of entertaining, since the resort is way off the beach, though on the water. Most [but certainly not all] island activities are geared towards enjoying the outdoors, e.g., biking, kayaking, golfing, tennis[ing], swimming.

You might take a drive into Harbortown and bring the children to Crazy Crab for good dining in an entertaining, busy environment near the base of a landmark lighthouse. Visit South Beach, Sea Pines, a New England style development, dominated by the outfit producing the least exclusive t-shirts in the world, The Salty Dog Cafe. Dolphin are visible quite often from the pier and beach at that end of the island.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 01:31 AM

We stayed at the Disney HH resort about 8-9 years ago. We really enjoyed it, but it's not on the ocean. They had a bus that took you there. There were shops and restaurants within walking distance from what I recall.
We had a two bedroom and it was nice and spacious!
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Have done both Disney and HHI in October. I would strongly recommend both. Disney is on the Intercoastal waterway with beautiful views. The beach access is a short drive and looks like the Caribbean? with a huge, slightly elevated pool, plentiful parking and private access.
The weather can be very warm with the water in the upper 70's and just past hurricane season.
Beside the pool & beach, Disney has plenty to do and I always recommend visit(s) to Sea Pines where you can easily stroller around Harbour Town and South Beach for $5 per day. Both of these sopts have kid-friendly restaurants.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 07:03 AM

I sure wouldn't want to stay so far away from the beach, and that time of year there should be lots of affordable options either on or very close to the beach. A great time to go BTW.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 01:54 AM

If you wish to avoid the Atlantic hurricane season, you'll need to wait until December. cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/outlooks/hurricane.shtml