Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is October a good time to go to Nags Head, NC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have reservations at the First Colony Inn in Nags Head in mid-October. Is that a good time to visit? I have been to the Outer Banks in January when many places are closed and the place seems dead, and I don't want to have that experience again. I have also vacationed there in the summertime and absolutely loved it.

What should I expect in October?

Anyone have experience at the First Colony Inn?

Thanks,
Dave
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:42 AM
emd

YES! I love Nags Head in October. It is crisp and nice, without crowds, but not as dead as it gets later in winter. First Colony also has an affiliation w/some people who come in and do birdwatching weekends in Oct. I was signed up to do a bird weekend last Oct. but after Hurricaine Isabel I decided to hold off. Oct. is bird migratory season and you can see incredible birds there at that time. Not sure what your plans are but you might want to chekc into the birding at First Colony. I have not stayed there but I checked it out last summer since I wanted to stay there in Oct. The proprieter is wonderful at First Colony. Rooms are nice and some have ocean views (it is not right on the ocean though). Each room is different. The pics on the website are pretty good idea of what the rooms are like. I think it is the nicest B&B type place on the OBX- laid back, good location, nice people, nice rooms, decent price, etc.
I have a week at Nags Head in late August and am thinking of goign back in Oct. for a weekend myself. BTW- I think you now get to use the GREAT facilities at the new YMCA in Nags Head if you stay at First Colony. they have a huge nice indoor pool, workout facilities, I think indoor courts, etc. Check that out- it is a great plus if First Colony is still offering it.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:52 AM

We stay in Southern Shores every October and it's been wonderful! We get some years that the weather is a bit chilly, but for the most part we've had great 70-80 degree weather. The weather is usually warm and the crowds are small - how can you beat that?
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We've spent October in the Outer Banks forever. Definitely one of the best times to visit. As others have already noted, prepare for both warm and not warm weather and keep your sense of humor about hurricanes!
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:17 AM
bonniebroad

October is a great time for the Carolina Coast. We prefer going in the spring & fall seasons!

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:51 AM

Fishing is great in the fall, too.

--Lan Sluder