Search

Sandestin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:22 PM
lori

Sandestin

My family and I along with our 3 year old are going to the Sandestin resort (on the panhandle) at the end of October. Are their alot of activities for 3 year olds and any recommendations for restaurants? Thanks.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:28 PM
S

The "in" season along the Panhandle is during the Summer. By October, many of the attractions will be closed. But a 3 year old will thoroughly enjoy the infinite sandbox. Just bring along a good assortment of beach toys.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:42 PM
lori

I didnt realize that Oct was off peak. I was hoping that the weather would still be warm. Any info on restaurants? Thank you for your info.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Jason

I am not sure what "S" is talking about. "Many of the attractions will be closed?" The only attraction I know that closes is the waterpark. Everything else is open. I don't consider Big Kahuna's being closed a big loss of entertainment choices. That place is a rip=off. The weather in October is typically beautiful, probably my favorite month in Destin (lived there 18 years, by the way). The air is getting cooler by October, but the water is still moderately warm.

The entire month of October is the Destin Fishing October. To kick off the event, the first weekend of October is the Seafood Festival, which is fun.

The crowds should be down a bit from summer, but Destin becomes less seasonal every year. You should have a great time.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Jason

Sorry, I mistyped. That should be "Destin Fishing Rodeo," not "Destin Fishing October."

I like Harry T's for seafood. Callahan's, if you want a break from seafood, is outstanding. And for a nicer meal, try Summerhouse in Fort Walton.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Beachbum

I believe there is a McGuire's pub in Destin. Your 3yr old will enjoy seeing all the dollar bills stapled to the ceiling and walls, the big moose head, etc. I also think they have opened a Crepes Eggcetera in Destin, wonderful for breakfast. Gracias (sp?) for great Italian food. In October you should find the crowds at resturants down a good bit, especially if you go before 6 p.m.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:45 PM
lori

Thank you all for the info. I am looking forward to the trip and appreciate your advice.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:21 PM
RC

Not to argue w/Jason but I was at Harry T's in august and the seafood was mediocre at best. The place is hoppin though and has music and a nice ambience. I'd ask the locals for good places....sorry Jason!
Good luck on your trip!