Hilton Club timeshare NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a friend who is considering a Hilton Club NY timeshare membership.

While timeshares don't fit my style or needs, I know they work for some. (My sister and her family have owned and used one for many years.) But I'm looking for any general or specific guidance that I can offer her on this program or similar points-based ``deals.''

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM

I know very little about the subject, but what I do know I've read here. So first, I'd do a search on timeshares on this board.

Next, I'd say to my knowledge there are only 2 timeshares in Manhattan, this Hilton and the Manhattan Club if she wants to do some comparing. I did look at the apt. layouts at the Hilton (online) and I thought they looked small.

Lastly, I remember reading here that it's always better value to buy a timeshare from an owner rather than management. Don't know whether that's possible in this situation.

Just as an fyi, it's becoming more and more possible to get apt. sized accomodation in NYC. The list of apt/hotels is getting longer.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Forgot to mention tug2.net is a time share users website and she might be able to find some good general info there. It's also got a link for people looking to buy or rent timeshares.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 11:57 AM

It is my understanding that you are only buying the right to use the Hilton Club NY property for X years (20?), not buying any of the property. I'm interested to know if that is correct.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes, I think it's a 25-year deal. I've tried to search out resales, but haven't found any yet.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Please have your friend check into the Timeshare Users Group BBS @ their NEW website WWW.TUGBBS.COM (www.tug2.net will also direct them to the new site)

Have them learn all they can about buying any timeshare BEFORE they buy. There are so many knowledgeable timeshare owners on that site that they can and will help your friends. TUG was set up by a t/s owner to help others and it is now run by VOLUNTEER members who don't want others to get ripped off and it's a place where, if you are a member, you can read the reviews of what the resorts are like.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 03:57 PM

I would be wary of this for a vacation property. Most of these apartments are rented by large corporations for temporary exercutives - or those in transit - or by local embassies or consulates. So they're not paying with real money (they can write this all off) and don;t really care what the prices are.

It seems like the basic timeshare is almost $2000 per week - when you add in maintenance charges (and don;t know about taxes) for which you could stay in a perfectly decent hotel - at your convenience - not theirs.