Help with trip to NYC

Apr 21st, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Help with trip to NYC

I am taking my 16 and 18 year old to NYC for a few days late July. Want to see main sites and a show. Any suggestions for us? Especially, where to stay reasonably priced and safe. Can we park the car and use public transportation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:38 AM

The Travel Inn is the only hotel I know of that actually offers free parking. People seem to like it based on tripadvisor.com reviews. It's not necessarily where I'd choose to stay apart from the car issue. The Doubletree Suites in Times Square is a good place for families. What's your idea of "reasonably priced"? There are a number of other all suite hotels. Look at the affinia.com group.
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:42 AM

You definitely don't need a car in NYC. TO park it, can cost about $40/day. You may want to leave it in a lot outside the city and train in.

CHeck Affinia.com for accommodations. They are a chain of mostly suite hotels at relatively good prices (keep in mind hotels prices in NYC have gone up quite in the past year alone). Sometimes they have special offers on their website that are great deals. If you want to stay in the TImes Sq area (very touristy, but not really the best place to stay) DOubletree SUites may work well.

There are many decent areas to stay in and public transportation can get you to most places quickly.

I don't know if you have any particular shows in mind, but popular ones like WIcked and Spamelot are going to be a tough ticket. Other's that have been around a while, like Hairspray, Rent, Phantom, Producers I doubt would be a problem, and may have discounts as well. For theater discounts, check Broadwaybox.com.
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:45 AM

The Millenium Hilton is reasonable .. and very lovely .. new within the past two years or so .. sometimes offers a package with either free breakfast or parking .. Subway is right there .. It is located right in Tribecca .. lots of great restaurants ... within walking distance to lots of places .. I like it there ... it is safe and convenient ..
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:52 AM

Unless there's a Millenium Hilton that I'm not aware of, the Millenium Hilton isn't quite tribeca (but not far), it's the financial district, across from the WTC site. It was closed for several years after 9/11, and re-opened maybe 2 or so years ago.

ANother options could be to bid on 2 rooms in Priceline (they can only guarantee a room for 2 and in NYC many rooms just have 1 bed). Check biddingfortravel.com for more info on that.