Hillcrest House in San Diego?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering staying here for three nights instead of up on Hotel Circle, where my seminar is being held. Will rent a car and "commute."

Any thoughts on the practicality of getting to and from, and how is the Hillcrest House? TIA
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in San Diego and I've never heard of this particular B&B. As you plan to have a car, ask about parking. Street parking in that area can be hard to find. There may even be meters. Why don't you want to stay in one of the hotels in Mission Valley? If not the one your seminar is in, one of the others?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi Barbara. Thanks for your reply.

The B&B has off street parking. So, that's not a problem. The seminar is in the Mission Valley Resort which I hear is pretty dingy. There are other hotels in that area, but for the price, I just wasn't inspired. DH does not like B&Bs and since I'll be alone, I thought it might be a nice change of pace. I also like the idea of being in a neighborhood where I can walk around at night and explore a little. I'm more interested in a real neighborhood than one geared toward tourists.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:41 AM

I like Hillcrest, and it is easy to get to hotel circle from there -- maybe a 10 minute "commute". Then add 10 minutes more to walk from the parking to the conference room if the hotel is typical there!!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

lcuy, you post leaves me feeling more optimistic! Thanks. I'm off in the morning...will post back about the B&B. Hope it works out as I expect this will not be my last trip to San Diego.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Have fun, Amy, and please let us know how it went. I always like hearing about new places!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:36 AM
TahitiTams

Hey Amy..
Just some thoughts for you on the Hillcrest House which I never heard of until now..it looks nice and is a heavily congested residential/medical parking area that usually takes a permit to park and you are more than a block or two from the "Hillcrest" area which is our gay community..
Parking is nearly impossible because of UCSD..
Have you thought of other neighborhoods that would only take you 15 minutes or less to get to?
Mission Hills is a wonderful community right next to Hillcrest along with Little Italy/La Jolla/Coronado..

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:00 PM

TT, Amy said they have off-street parking.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 01:39 PM
TahitiTams

Thanks Barbara..saw the off street but didn't register..
This is right next door to the SD Hospice..alot of family members stay there..
It's about 6 blocks to the main street.
At night you will hear a lot of noise from the hospital/hospice.
personally, I would want to be near the water..

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the last-minute input everyone! I should tell you that I live in Florida, a few minutes from an award-winning beach. (best sand or something) So I wanted to do something different, something more urban and less water-oriented. I figured Hillcrest would be colorful and interesting. I did not realize I wouldn't be right there, but I am a happy walker.

I do plan to drive up to La Jolla and out to Coronado if I can. So, I will get to dip my toes in the Pacific for the first time. I have Thursday afternoon and Sunday afternoon and evening free. I am also eager to see Balboa Park...gardens, museum, etc...

As for noise, I sleep with earplugs due to DH snoring. Even when I am not being subjected to his noise, I have to have them in my ears to bring about the Pavlovian sleep response. Isn't that weird....I just can't sleep without them in! So, I should be fine.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Well, I am back and it was great! I had a crummy day of traveling (seat-mates from h-ll on both flights....go figure!) and was warmly welcomed, even though I had not taken the time to pull over and call to let them know I was on my way. I had decided to drive up into the area and then find a place to pull over and call. Well, as I was driving, I saw Front Street, decided to turn in and there it was, the same house I had seen in the photo on their website. So much for calling ahead...

I stayed in the Gaslamp Room, which is the smallest and probably a squeeze for two people. There wasn't a huge amount of floor space and the toilet is tucked in a smallish corner near the sink. But the mattress was excellent, the sheets were soft, thick cotton and the towels were big and fluffy. Those things are far more important to me than most other room features. Two big windows allowed for great ventilation and the bathroom was newly remodeled. The whole place felt fresh and was extremely clean. I didn't get to see the other rooms, but I know they are bigger. There will also be a three-bedroom cottage some time in the future.

Breakfast consisted of muffins or toast, fresh fruit (strawberries, mango, oranges, melon, a few different selections each day), yogurt, two types of cereal, juice and good, strong coffee. I know some places serve a hot breakfast but I wouldn't have wanted it anyway. Barb (the owner's mother who was in charge for the three days I was there) let me keep a few small things in the fridge because I like to have a bit of cheese with my breakfast.

As for the location, Hillcrest House is only a few blocks from where the Hillcrest activity begins. Then it's just a few more blocks to the big sign at the center of the neighborhood. I was about six or seven minutes from Hotel Circle and everyone in my seminar was pretty miserable with the hotel they had to stay in. One colleague even checked out (of the Mission Valley Resort) and moved to the Doubletree at almost twice the price.

Back in Hillcrest, there was a Wholefoods about five or six blocks away and I went there everyday to pick up a healthy lunch. Then I drove to Balboa Park, another five minute drive, to eat.

The day I arrived, I drove up to La Jolla. I don't think it took more than 15-20 minutes. Little Italy was about the same amount of time to get to. And the airport/rental car area was only about 10 minutes away. All in all, Hillcrest House felt very centrally located.

As for noise, I never figured out where the Hospice was. So, if they're there, one wouldn't even know it. At night there was a bit of road noise (a truck rumbling up University Ave. once or twice or maybe it was an airplane) but I would say the area was pretty quiet. I never heard a siren and I slept very well, albeit with the usual earplugs!

There's always a temptation to not share travel "secrets" but I think the owner deserves to do well because she's working hard and making the place so welcoming. And I have gotten so much help here at Fodor's, I feel compelled to report. I'm just hoping this place doesn't get so popular that I won't be able to get a room there in the future!
I've already booked for the next seminar in November.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM

Thanks for posting, Amy40. It's always good to know about nice places to stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in San Diego.