San Diego Parking

Jan 14th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

San Diego Parking

Greetings!
We've got a hotel booked in La Jolla (it just seemed nicer than downtown SD---plus we can walk to the beach as time permits) but we do need to get to the convention center every day. It sounds like parking downtown can be a bit of a hassle. Where is "the trolley" located and does it make sense to park there for the day and then trolley or bus over to the CC?
Jan 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM

The Convention Center has a parking lot which costs $8 per day. Once there, you wouldn't need to move the car until you were ready to go back to La Jolla.

http://www.sdccc.org/maps/parking.cfm
Jan 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM

gosh, I live here and never knew the convention center had such cheap parking.
$8..what a deal!
Where are you staying in LJ?
Jan 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM

San Diego has one of the most expensive "single ride" tickets on their buses/trolleys in the country at $2.25. They really want you to buy their $5 day pass.

Just riding the trolley roundtrip will cost $4.5 each person, minimum.
Jan 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Barb!
Not exactly sure where my partner booked us in LJ ksucat....
I'm the "car" guy on this trip...
pete
Jan 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

ksucat:
I've been told its the "Empress Hotel"; if you know anything about that place. Thanks!
Jan 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM

Empress Hotel is in the heart of the village in LJ and they have a great Italian restaurant in the hotel called Manhattan's..classic place that Tommy Lasorda and lots of old school Italian guys hang..
I heard they redid there rooms and its a great location..
Have breakfast at the Cottage and have lunch at George's at the Cove on the terrace.
Have fun Pete!
Jan 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM

pete1222, I just looked up your hotel, and you are indeed staying in a great area! Lots of restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, a little village atmosphere with shopping... You are staying in one of our favorite areas of San Diego to hang out, La Jolla. My husband and I often head over there on the weekend to have breakfast or lunch, and to walk to La Jolla Cove, where you can see the seals, and there are lovely walks along the sea...

I just had breakfast at a place in La Jolla that doesn't look like much on the outside, but their menu is wonderful and creative. It's called Coffee Cup Cafe, at 1109 Wall Street, La Jolla. I had their breakfast tamales and a banana oatmeal pancake with honey on the side. They have good espresso drinks too. Also good lunches.

"Come On In" on Herschel is good for bakery items, breakfast and lunch. It's a little, casual place.

If you're in La Jolla on Friday night, there's an Italian restaurant that has wonderful singing on Friday nights after 7:00 pm. The restaurant is tucked away in a little walkway between Prospect St. and Roslyn Lane, near Ivanhoe St. I just looked it up for you...1237 Prospect St., Ste. P. Their web-site is www.ladolcevitaristorante.com . It's a small place.

I hope you have some time for fun, besides your convention. Enjoy!

Jan 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Ksucat!
You too Melissa5!!
Yeah, we try to plan these things where we have some access to "nature". In this case a long walk on the beach before and/or after the convention goes a long, long way. We're totally into breakfast places, so thanks.

One of our past conventions was up in San Fran. So we jet in from the East and I rent 3 bikes on Fishermans Wharf for 3 days. My partners and I were biking all over the city---we just kept the bikes in our room at night. Then I find:
Dotties True Blue Cafe on the internet. Put that in your notebook for next time you're in SF. Hint: You can't go wrong w/ anything on the board. The area is slightly dicey but my wife and our teenage daughters love it too. Note: There will be a line on the weekend....