St Regis or Palace Hotel

Sep 7th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

St Regis or Palace Hotel

We (husband, 2 children aged 7 and 5) will be travelling to San Francisco for a conference at the Moscone Center next April. I have been searching the internet for suitable hotels, close to the center and also good for kids and and have narrowed my search to either the Palace Hotel or the St Regis. Both seem good and I wondered if anyone could make any suggestions? We will also be joined by my parents who will be flying over from the UK to join us for our stay.

I think I am veeering towards the Palace Hotel as I have read it is closer to public transport (my father has some trouble walking without a stick), but am open to suggestions?
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:57 AM
yk

I was recently in SF and have walked past both hotels. They are really just a few short blocks from each other, so unless your parents have huge issues with walking, it's not a big difference.

The Palace is next to the BART/Muni station if that's important to you. Otherwise, if you're taking the regular bus, there's a stop just 1 block from the St Regis.

From the outside, the St Regis is more sleek/modern whereas the Palace is old world elegance. I guess depends on your taste/preference.
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you YK - you have confirmed what I was already thinking. I think we will go with the Palace - old world elegance will probably suit my parents more... although I suppose they get that most days being in London!
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Last year we were in SF for a business meeting. I took the time to do a docent tour of the Palace Hotel. Very interesting and enjoyable. It may be boring for your kids(?)

We used to go to SF when we were kids, about the same age as yours. It was so fun and a good way to make lasting family memories.

Good luck,

MY
Jan 18th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Hi ExPat Pom,

Assume I am way late responding but I definitely WOULD NOT stay at the St. Regis - it is not a St. Regis by any standard but name. The service is absolutely atrocious and some of the worst service I have ever had - management at the hotel should be swept clean and have real St. Regis people put in there. I had the misfortune to stay there twice - the first time was OK and I put up with the service glitches (it was free! because of an offer St. Regis made my company) but a year later and another stay the service had actually gotten worse.

Definitely, the Palace is your best bet - both Starwood properties but if Starwood took my advice, they would disown the SF St. Regis. I think it very possibly had the worst service I had ever experienced at an hotel.

If you want some real old world charm in an out of the way place (warning: it isn't close to much of anything except the Golden Gate Bridge and Palace of Fine Arts), try Hotel Drisco - they have some nice, fine old rooms and great service - the floors are squeaky and you can hear some noise, but it is absolutely one of the most charming hotels in the City. It is in the most upscale neighborhood in the city - Pacific Heights. So, if you haven't found a place yet, might try them.
Jan 21st, 2009, 12:05 PM

First time in San Francisco, you want to stay in the "touristy" area with easy bus access - you didn't mention you will have a car.

Location-wise I'd go with either Palace or St Regis.