Search

High Point NC,

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Point NC,

Thinking of going to High Point to look for a bedroom set. I have been looking for a white (not distressed or off-white) traditional bedroom set (not for a child). Has anyone else shopped here? Will I find lots of variety or a whole lot of the same last season clearance items?

Are prices good for moderate items or half price really, really expensive things (like a $5,000. bed for $3,000- not what I want to spend).

I have looked for the last two+ years. I have a servicable set and don't want something that I won't love. Not looking for new for the sake of new. I want one style and will wait for it or keep what I have.

Any ideas on how to shop there? Is it worth the trip? Will be in the area anyway, wonder if it is worth the time to look. Otherwise, I might do other more interesting things. I don't like to shop for reccreation (with very few exceptions and not this kind of thing).

Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Do you know exactly what you want: The manufacturer and the style? If so, I would call one for the big name retail furniture dealers and ask them if they stock it. I have had good dealings with Boyle's. ( I am assuming here that you are talking about the retail dealers and not the twice-a-year High Point market.) If you know exactly what you want, you do not have to go there; I have purchased things from NC by phone after seeing them in a retail store in my home state or in a magazine. The big warehouse-type dealers have the same styles as do the smaller retailers all over the US; I do not think prices are as low as half, though.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:50 PM

http://www.highpointfurniture.com/

this is a web site I have used - previous posters were right, much can be ordered by fax,email, phone if you find what you want.

Truthfully, I ended up with my last bedroom set (for us, adults) from a local store having their annual sale, and while I might not have done as well as at high Point, it was pretty close.

here is also a link for Boyles
http://www.boyles.com/furnitureshopping/

I did end up with a Hinkley dining room set from a trip there, but I was there for other reasons - but you can shop there for days and days to really scope it out.

How close are you for the trip? Are you going to spend several days?
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:52 PM

Be careful. Years ago, we lost 5,000$ when the furniture store in high point went bankrupt. We had heard that this was a good place to deal with from other people. The furniture was supposed to arrive in 3 months and of course it didn't, instead a bankruptcy form came. We only got back 50$ from the 5,000. You had to pay up front. It was 5000 cheaper in high point but...just be careful
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I don't know a style name or specific brand. I know the type of set I want. Thanks for the links also. I will be able to stay a few days to shop, if it is promising.

Does anyone think I will be able to find what I want? Are there a lot of places to look. Locally there are Morris, Ethan Allen, Value City and similar. I have looked at them and see nothing I like. Are there other chains there? Also, are things in stock or only to order and ship later? Anyone ever rented a vehicle to take things home?

Thanks for all help.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:22 PM

If you look on that first link I mentioned above, it lists many, many companies and most of htem have online shopping which will give you an idea of what they have - I don't know about renting a big vehicle to drive something home - but I will say to be careful with them about the shipping return policy - in case it arrives with chips or damage, what is their policy, who arranges to have it returned to them, at what cost, etc.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM

They sell all the major NC manufacturers in those places. The selection is overwhelming.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:45 PM

I'm also a believer that you can get close to the same price at big sales at local furniture stores. You don't have to deal with shipping / damage snafus and other delivery problems.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Fairhope

We saved a great deal of money shopping there for a highend $$ bed. We asked a local dealer to match the price and he couldn't. It took 3 months to get the bed made and shipped (By an independent shipper they arranged $125 for the bed).The bed came in perfect condition. We then ordered additional items by phone.
The advice to know what you want is good because the selection there is overwhelming!!!

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:08 AM

My research showed:
--- Buying from a large showroom in Las Vegas (thereby avoiding California State tax of 8.255) was 25%-30% cheaper than buying from a major retailer in CA _at retail_, when shipping was factored in.

Buying from "National Furniture" company in NC was almost exactly 50% off (47% or so), no tax again, but I paid $400 in shipping to get a complete child's 5 piece bedroom set shipped to CA.

My MIL bought her dining room table for 8, 8 chairs, 2 large upholstered pieces and a large couch by going there and shopping/purchasing. She saved a great deal of money but spent a great deal of money.

So, if you have a large quantity of things to buy, and expensive pieces, it makes sense to pay shipping as shipping is based on weight and not value. For smaller items, and low value items, the shipping eats up a large percentage of the savings, so buying locally makes more sense.

And about damage - the truck drivers unload and assemble for you. Anything that is damaged IMMEDIATELY goes back. Then you have to wait another 3-4 months, which is a major drag when it is a set, but there is no argument or hassles....the better companies just take it back and truck you another for no extra charge.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think I will give it a try (and keep the shipping, damage and cost info in mind).
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Have no idea if it's the style you're looking for, but I noticed that the most recent Crate Barrel catalog had some all white bedroom sets.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:41 AM

In addition to Boyle's and the others, you will find Furniturelandsouth, which is so huge that you need to go in golf carts from one building to another. I bought some things from them and upon delivery, a table leg was broken so they replaced the table with no problem. But you do have to pay in advance, which is kind of scary. And as I recall, they did not take credit cards, only checks. I liked Boyle's better than FLS for several reasons, but if you have time, check them both out, along with the other places suggested. Make sure to bring personal checks in case they will not take the credit cards. Let us know what happens!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Good point - some places want personal checks and won't take credit cards as VISA, AM EX and that ilk will take up to 5% of the gross.

You won't get the furniture for 3-5 months so they have plenty of time to make sure the checking account is good before shipping, even on out of state checks.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:22 AM

But if you pay with a check, you are taking the risk the company goes out of business. Which happens quite often in the furniture business.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone.

I am not thrilled with the no credit card idea. That is at least some protection from problems. I am going to look at the websites today. My potential trip is a little way off, so any other ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:12 AM
GoTravel

Furnitureland South has been in business over 30 years so I doubt you will have any problems with them going out of business.

They move so much furniture in and out of NC they are one of the major employers in that little town.

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Ditto Furnitureland South and add Roses. Both are very long term businesses with excellent reputations.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Rose Furniture took credit cards the last time I went there.

The biggest plus for shopping in High Point for me is the selection. If you can't find it there, it's not being made.

If you go to Furniture Land South, usually you met with a designer/sales person up front. That person can help narrow down lines for you. With stores that huge, you need help.

I don't know how the prices compare to other furniture stores. But when I was looking for an item, I knew what I wanted style/design wise and couldn't find it locally. Spent most of the day in High Point (I live about 90 minutes away) just looking for one item. I was starting to wonder if I was going to have success.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Just got a catalog from Boyle's and they are offering free shipping if you spend over a certain amount; I think it was a thousand dollars. You can make sure on their web site or call them before you go to check this out.