Notices

Help with Poconos (PA) family vacation

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:14 AM
KEC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Poconos (PA) family vacation

Hello,
I am planning a family vacation/reunion for June 2004. There will be several people of various ages, and we want to rent 2 vacation homes somewhere in the Poconos for a week. We would like to be as close as possible to Philadelphia (that's where we will be coming from).

Ideally, we would like to stay in an area with a lake resort that has lots of things to do (boating, fishing, beach, pool, etc).

Can anyone point me in a good direction? Any recommendations for a particular lake resort area?

Thanks!
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 09:43 AM
LN

you might try www.vrbo.com and click on Pennsylvania. There you could look at the Lake Harmony area and lakefront. We've been to Lake wallenpaupack and actually we just love the lakes in northeastern PA.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 11:56 AM

we stayed in Lake Harmony in July for a family get together. We used Lake Harmony rentals and that gave us access to the lake which was very nice. The kids liked the beach. We would recommend staying here. It is very pretty and private
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 12:31 PM
KEC
Original Poster

Thank you both for your responses. I was just looking into Lake Harmony online. I was wondering if either of you can give me some more information...maybe a description of what it is like there. Is there a community area with a pool, rec center, etc? Is there a beach? Is there a town nearby? Are there water sports on the lake?

I have never been to the Poconos, so I am not sure what to expect. The websites that I have found so far have not been very helpful. I am trying to plan this trip for my husband's family, so I am trying to make sure that I do this "right"

Thanks again!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 02:06 PM
KEC
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 03:21 PM
LN

Hi again

Hopefully this will add another's input. The Poconos is a great area and the towns around the lakes are generally small. You can go into Stroudsburg, which is a little larger, and go antique shopping and probably do the same around Mount Pocono.

As to beaches at the lake - again it would depend on the lake. Some lakes have beaches while at other lakes docks extend into the lake and you swim from the dock.

A number of lakes are getting away from power boats and only allowing rowboats, canoes, or electric motor boats (they don't go too fast).

For us growing up around the lakes was always marvelous, there were many things for children to do. There are generally water carnivals, regattas, boat parades etc. Our kids today cannot wait to run down to the dock and jump right in and then go "Brrrrr" as lake water is always colder.

With only a week you won't have too much time to do a lot more than enjoy the lake. And anywhere in the Poconos will be fairly close to Philly. It takes us about two hours longer to get to the Poconos.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 05:55 AM
KEC
Original Poster

Thanks LN,
I found some nice properties in Lake Harmony online, so I am leaning toward going there. I will go to the library today & see if there are any books about the Poconos that might have some good descriptions. For some reason, I can't find a really good website for information.
Thanks again!

Anyone else???
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 11:45 AM

I know you are looking into vacation homes (2) but I just wanted to tell you, in case you look into resorts, to stay away from the Mountain Laurel and Split Rock Lodge!! These properties are unbelievably horrible... run down, decrepit places!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:05 PM

Hi, I live in the Poconos... 'bout 2 hours north from where you are....did you realize the Poconos covers about a 50 mile radius? From the NY & NJ border to Scranton to Stroudsburg..I once worked for Penn Dot Info Breau.....what are the intrests of the group....hiking, golfing. boating, rafting, antiquing, railroads, caves, great parks, etc....the Poconos offer it all...I know I sound like an ad, but I'm not, I just love the area. In 50 sq. area miles we offer a lot, can you be more specific of your desires?
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:13 PM
KEC
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I will try to describe what we are looking for or what I imagine in my head for this vacation. A place where we can rent 2 houses (one very large) that are within a short drive of each other (or walking distance, if possible). There will be about 25 people from the ages of 2 months to 59 years - all with varied interests. The main request is that there is a lake (with a beach) to swim in, go fishing, paddle boats, etc. Preferably, the lake would be within walking distance. It would be great if there were a community area with tennis courts, basketball, pool, maybe some restaurants.

My in-laws want to go somewhere that is not too far from the Philadelphia area. They used to stay at Bear Creek Lake every year, and they liked that. However, they had to drive pretty far to get to the large lake with the beach and boats. Since we have so many people, we would like to avoid driving too far every day.

Does Lake Harmony sound like what I am looking for?

Thanks!
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:44 PM

Here are two places that I would recommend:

1. Woodlock Springs near Hawley Pa. A very nice golf and lake resort where you can rent homes and condos!

2. Lukans Farm Resort: Also near Hawley PA. A family style 'meal and stay' plan that is very well equipted to handle your whole Clan! We have use this resort for our family and friends reunion for the past 4 years. The food, the cleanlyness and the Prices can not be beat!!

JOHN
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 07:27 AM

We own a 2nd home in a community called Lake Naomi, which is in Pocono Pines. It would be the perfect place. We love it there! You could check w/various realtors that deal w/rentals such as poconolakerealty.com or lakenaomi.com. Visit the club's site, too: lakenaomiclub.com There is a beautiful lake w/ a number of dif. beaches, 2 outdoor heated pools, a 9-hole golf, a great tennis complex (har-tru courts). You can rent boats for use on lake. For fishing, I think you'll need a fishing permit, but you can do that, too! Depending when you go in June, pool may not be open yet.

Don't know far it is from Phila but you'd take:
Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike (I-476) to Exit 95 (Pocono Exchange) then East on Rt. 940 for fourteen miles to Pocono Pines.

Check now for rentals for more availability. Good Luck!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 07:34 AM

...Also at Lake Naomi, there are basketball courts w/in complex and it's a great place to bike and hike. The town of Stroudsburg is w/in 1/2 hour and there are outlets in Tannersville (exit 299 off of Rt 80) about 20 minutes away as well as antique shops scattered around. Rent a place here!