Summer trip Berkshires or Lake George?

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer trip Berkshires or Lake George?

We are planning a trip in July. I am hoping for help with places to stay. We are meeting up with our 3 kids who are in their 20s, would prefer place that has condos or suites so we can all be together. Would love some place that is scenic with lake or mountain views but fairly near things to do, driving ranges, biking etc. Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Hi Laurie,

I haven't been to the Berkshires but I do love Lake George and think it would be a great place for your family as it has all of what you are looking for. Many of the hotels and motels have cottages or cabins that accomodate larger groups of people, I stayed at the Sundowner and I believe that they offer cabins.

Lake George obviously has the lake but it also has mountains, beautiful scenery, good shopping, decent dining, fun activities for the kids, good shopping etc.

Hope that helps!

Layla
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM

I have been to both and I would much prefer the Berkshires in the summer to Lake George.
I love Lake George in the fall, when the amusement park rides/atmosphere is over..stay at the Sagamore and enjoy, otherwise, the Berkshires has such a huge range of things to do .. concerts at Tanglewood, ballet , summer theatre, flea markets, craft and art fairs, antiquing, hiking at Bish Bash Falls, biking and wandering.
If you go, send me a postcard lol...
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:45 PM

The town of Lake George itself is quite tacky with lots of amusements for kids - arcades, water slides, mini golf, souvenir shops and cotton candy etc. - and in the summer is usually mobbed.

But - if you go further up the lake there are nicer areas. We have stayed at the Sagamore on an island in the lake - and it's much more relaxed and peaceful - still with lots to do - but not SO many shrieking children.

The Berkshires also has lots for adults - of all ages - to do - but will probably be more costly in July.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 08:37 PM

laurie:
you might be interested in this thread - we were recently looking for a place with our 2 adult children also in their 20's -

I thought WilloughVale Inn looked fabulous - look at the lakeside and lakeview cottages - the links to it are on this thread:

We have ended up with a cottage at Mohonk - it worked for us time-wise - we are limited this time around - otherwise we may have returned to the Balsams, a place we have always enjoyed as a family- great golf, hikes, biking, you might want to check that one out - or Stowe area also

but there were some good suggestions give to me:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35127155

enjoy !
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 08:39 PM

Also - how about the mid-vermont area?
Lake Champlain/ Mountains -
even Killington area might work with condo rental -
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi
Thanks for all the feedback. We have been to Stowe Vermont, and I live in Maine so those areas have been somewhat done. one of my sons is coming from NYC and other kids are around MA so we were trying to find a place kind of over that way for them as they are all working people, so less travel is better. Also havent done either Lake George, Adirondacks or Berkshires. It helps so much to have people who have done it as websites can be deceiving. Key for us is a place we can all be in together and then scenery etc.

thanks again!

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 04:46 AM

Laurie: if you have not been to Mohonk, you may want to look at their website - we are ending up there b/c we are coming from Boston and NYC so it is only 90 minutes out of NYC and 3.5 hrs from Boston -

let us know though where you choose and how it all works out - always looking for new places !
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM

Topping this with this article from todays NYTimes Travel section
http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/05/02...prod=permalink
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

thank you everyone for ideas and feedback. Still undecided what we are going to do. Mohonk looked beautiful - but pricey. Wondering if we are better off renting a condo or cottage for a week.
thanks
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM

Check out Williamstown in the Berkshires - cute college town and close to hiking and to Tanglewood. There are dance performances and jazz and wine festivals up there in the summer. Beautiful.