Anyone know about Duck Lake?

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Anyone know about Duck Lake?

We have an opportunity to rent a condo in the summer through RCI at a place called Holiday Resorts at a place called Duck Lake )approx. 3 miles N. of the Kelowna airport and we can't seem to find much about this place. Does anyone have any information they could share about this place (like the size of lake, whether it's swimmable, that type of thing). Thank you
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:43 PM

We stayed there this summer. It is also an RV park with some condos on site. We were in our RV and I did not see the inside of the condos, but they did look a little older, although they were replacing some of the furniture in the condos when we were there. I would not say the lake is swimmable. You would need a boat to go out to the middle of the lake. There are several other lakes in the area, however, with beach areas that you could drive to. The resort itself was quite nice. If I remember correctly, there were 2 or 3 swimming pools (one indoor) and one of the clubhouses and outdoor hot tubs is adults only. There is a small Par 3 golf course on site. We were there for 3 days visiting friends who live there and our kids kept busy most of the time, but I think they would have been bored if we stayed a whole week. Overall, I would say it is a very nice resort for an RV Park, but I would not really consider it a great timeshare resort. If you plan to spend a lot of time touring the Okanagan area, it might be OK.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for getting back to me about this. Could you use this lake for boating. Also, I'm wondering about Wood Lake and Kal Lake and how far they would be.
Thanks again
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM

I have to agree with Cathy. It is not the best lake or resort in the area but for time sharing it definitely is the easiest to trade to. Is the Grand Okanagan Resort or Manteo resort available through RCI? They are both right on Lake Okanagan and much more central for lake swimming and boating. I think the Lake Okanagan Resort is available through RCI and, while this is a liitle off the beaten track it is nicer than the resort on Duck Lake.
I did visit some friends at the Holiday resort and the condo unit seemed adequate but not extraordinary. The 'golf course' there is about six short holes in a field - hardly a golf course but we did have a bit of fun there.
Wood lake is a few miles to the north of Duck Lake and Kalamalka is separated from Wood Lake by a narrow strip of land. Both of these have lots of boating opportunities and I believe there are some beaches also.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Lunabug is so right, The Grand, Manteo and Lk Okanagan Resort are all nicer properties, with the first 2 right in Kelowna and the last about 20 minutes out of town on the Westside. Having said that though, my parents love to camp at Holiday Park, There are 2 outdoor pools and 1 indoor pool, a small beach area (but the lake is not really great for swimming. The bottom is mucky). A little golf course. The place is great for retirees and families with young kids. Holiday Park is quite a large complex, but Duck Lake is very small.
Also the airport is close by, so there will be noise from that.
My favorite lake to boat on is Kalamalka Lake.
In the summer the water is the most amazing colour, and it is not nearly as choppy as Okanagan lake. The only decent place to launch though is at Kekuili Provincial Park. About half way down the lake towards Vernon.
It would probably take about 15 - 20 minutes to get there from Holiday Park.
If you check out a map there will be Duck Lake then the town of Winfield, then Wood Lake. There is a strip of land between Wood Lake and Kal Lake that is called Oyama. Then the start of Kal Lake which runs all the way to Coldstream/Vernon.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 08:39 PM

Here is a web link to Holiday Park Resort
http://www.sweetlife.com/
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Here is a link for you.
http://www.sweetlife.com/

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Hi - we have family in the area of Duck Lake - and has been said already we wouldn't swim there. HOWEVER... the OK is marvellous in summertime and Duck Lake may be as good a jump off place as any other. We do the winery tours for a nice lunch, rent a boat in downtown Kelowna and tour Lake Okanagan, even with boards etc. if you have kids. We also go to Oyama just up the road from Winfield to swim, rent a boat and have fun in the sun etc. Kalamalka lake (? spelling) is beautiful and you can go mountian biking in Silver Star resort in Vernon or hike about. Rest of the time you can explore by car, find a nice beach and sun, or explore downtown Kelowna along the waterfront.