Moody Manitoba resorts????

Jul 7th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Moody Manitoba resorts????

Could anyone recommend any resorts or cottage/cabin type places in the Riding Mountain National Park area and also in the vicinity of Lake Winnipeg??

We are not looking for "rustic", but for well equipped and clean accommodation, preferably with a small kitchen.

Many thanks. . . .
Jul 9th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

No travellers to Manitoba on Fodors???

Has no-one ever stayed near Riding Mountain National park or near Grand Beach??

ACK!!! - we'll have to make decisions without advice - how scary is that??!!
Jul 18th, 2004, 10:33 AM

You may already have your answer on this but...

Riding Mountain - very pretty area Suggest Elkhorn Resort if you're looking for upscale Elkhorn is just outside park. If you want something less expensive,suggest choosing something in Clear Lake. It is a lovely little tourist town. I've camped there and, while not alot of choices on places to stay, those I saw look quite adequate.

Hope you're driving though as these places are quite far from Winnpeg and transportation to these locations will be less than ideal without car.

Suggest you might try Gimli in the Lake Winnipeg area. They have a nice on-the-water resort, quite new. Can't recall name but I'm sure you can google it.

Also suggest Falcon Lake. It will be in the same style of vacation as RMNP and LW. Located between Winnipeg and Kenora off TransCanada Highway, it is a popular summer destination. Suggest Falcon Lake Resort.

Also if heading to Falcon Lake, go a little farther to Kenora in Lake of the Woods - Be sure to do the lake tour.

Hope this helps.

Jul 19th, 2004, 09:15 AM

The name of the resort in Gimli is called Lakeview Resort. It is really nice. Here is there website: www.lakeviewhotels.com As for Riding Mountain dj canada made a good suggestion about the Elkhorn resort and Falcon lake area. I haven't stayed at Elkhorn, but have friends that did and they liked it. Falcon lake/Whiteshell region is a beautiful area, you won't be bored. My friend recently rented a cabin in the Falcon lake area and enjoyed it. I will ask her and post the location. Hope this helps!
Jul 19th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Can anyone tell me anything about Hecla and the resort (Gull Harbour) there??

Just a note - we tried making accommodation reservations in Whiteshell, but all required at least a 7 night stay during the summer months, and that did not fit in with our plans (we were looking for 3 nights).
How long does the drive from Winnipeg to, say, Rennie, Seven Sisters Falls and/or Pinawa take?

Thanks for your help.
Jul 19th, 2004, 12:02 PM

Rennie and Seven Sisters is about 1 hour and 30-45 minutes from where I live in Winnipeg. Pinawa is about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Gull Harbour Resort was renovated and it has been years since I have been there, but a friend of mine went there last year and said it is really nice. You are looking at approximately a two hour drive from Winnipeg to Gull Harbour. Gull Harbour/Hecla is north of Gimli. Hope this helps!
Jul 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you canuck11 for the information.

We had made reservations at the Gull Harbour Resort, so I'm glad to hear that it is "nice".

I'll post a trip report when I get back (even though I'm not sure that there is a lot of interest in travelling to Manitoba on this Fodors forum).
Jul 24th, 2004, 11:01 PM

I hope I am not too late in posting this. It has been years since I have been to Gull Harbour and can you believe I have forgot how long the drive can take. I posted approximately two hours, but it could take a bit longer, possibly up to three.
Jul 24th, 2004, 11:12 PM

Gull Harbour Resort is approximately 177 km North of Winnipeg. Pinawa is approximately 100kms from Winnipeg. If you would like some more information about Gull Harbour, here is their website: www.gullharbourresort.com I hope you enjoy your vacation in Manitoba. Please post your review.
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:15 AM

Gull Harbour is a really lovely resort ... will you be golfing?
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:29 AM

The beaches on Lake Winnipeg, Grand Beach, Gimli are no more than an hour's easy drive from downtown Winnipeg. Even Heckla is only a couple of hours. Have you considered staying in town and making day trips?

As far as the Whiteshell, you could try finding accommodations in Kenora. You could explore the Whiteshell from there, as well as around the Kenora area. It's beautiful country.
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi Carolyn - no, we won't be golfing.
We will be spending part of our time in Winnipeg though - anything exciting going on at the beginning of August?

(by the way, we have seen most of the countryside adjacent to the Trans Canada, including Kenora and Lake of the Woods which I agree is beautiful, and that's why we wanted to venture a bit further north in Manitoba to see something "new" for us - Lake Winnipeg and the western part of Whiteshell).
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:33 PM

Borealis,

You'll be here just in time for Folklorama, August 1 to 14, is very popular. See below.

http://www.folklorama.ca/folklorama.php

There's really not that much to do up at Gull Harbour unless you golf (my opinion). Three days might be a bit long.

The drive through the western Whiteshell, Highway 307 Rennie, through Brereton, Dorothy, Nutimik Lakes, etc. to Seven Sisters, is easily doable in a day, also, from Winnipeg.